Cannot download ANYTHING with BThomehub

MagicMalek

Hi all,

About a month ago, I upgraded my BT service to the "unlimited package" with unlimited downloads (I also replaced my router with a BThomehub 2). I forwarded a port and uTorrent was working fine again (228kB/s...pretty good!), but now, downloads have almost completely stopped working.

I haven't changed ANYTHING with uTorrent or my connection in the past few weeks, so I have no idea why all of a sudden I try downloading stuff with hundreds of seeds and peers, and cannot connect to any of them...

What I have noticed happening is that when I test the forwarded port to see if it's open, often it is not. I don't know why, as I followed all the instructions on PortForward.com for opening a port, and I get the little green icon at the bottom of uTorrent telling me my connection is fine. Sometimes, it does say the port is open. My latest attempt at opening a port has worked fine so far, but download speeds are still near zero.

I don't know where to start, does anyone know what is happening and why I'm now unable to download anything? (And hopefully how to fix it, whatever it is...) :(

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I checked out those links and adjusted my settings slightly. My broadband speeds are: 4536kb download, 368kb upload and my settings are now: 36kB/s upload, 228kB/s download, global maximum connections 90, maximum connected peer per torrent 40 and upload slots 4.

I also set up a static IP address, which worked fine. However, I am still having the problem of the port checking utility telling me my port (47272) is closed most of the time. :( I have opened 47272 (followed all the instructions for opening the port) and also restarted my Homehub and left it unplugged to see if the Homehub would "accept" the open port.

I can see that the port is open, because when I delete the settings to open 47272 my download speeds completely fall. After opening the port (despite the port checker telling me it is closed) I get download speeds of about 25kB/s. When I check with the port checker, it seems to alternate between telling me 47272 is open or shut. All the while, uTorrent has still been telling me my network is OK... :S

A few nights ago, my download speeds were at more than 200kB/s, so this is not a permanant problem, I only wish I could get it working like that again. :(

I also have very few peers and seeds, one download lists 212 seeds and 781 peers, but I am only connected to 37 seeds and no peers.

I'm running Windows XP, everything is up to date. I have disabled Windows Firewall with no luck.

If you need any more info just ask. Thanks. :)

Your modem may be acting as a router/firewall. Maybe UPnP works on it...sometimes?

BT Central ADSL ISP in the UK is known to throttle BitTorrent traffic really low during most of the day.

Encryption-wise, you might get better results doing this:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=46778

or this:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58714

(NOTE: Those settings were a special case for a wireless ISP, so understand them before you try them!)

Thanks again for your reply :)

It seems BT is throttling my downloads...I recieved an email today from them which explained that as my broadband usage is over 100GB (wow, only managed 16GB before I upgraded to unlimited usage...) a month, my broadband speeds are now restricted during peak times.

Whilst this isn't great, at least I recieved an email about it. Thanks for the links you suggested, I did suspect that my speeds were being throttled, and at least now it is confirmed. I guess I will only be seeding during peak times from now on, or, at most, running very slow downloads. I will have a go at trying out the methods you suggested in the posts :)

Archived