RSS problem

shiribt

Hi all!

I have been using utorrent for quite some time & have been having a very strange problem over the past week. I have 2 RSS feeds defined & they have both been "empty" & with a red icon for a few days now. The feeds are not offline (one of them is the EZTV feed - http://www.ezrss.it/feed/), & even when I added different ones they did not work either. Also, the update function of utorrent does not work (it takes forever & then says it cannot connect to server. Here is what I tried to do: redefine the feeds, reboot computer, reboot modem, reinstall utorrent, install beta 2.0, add new different feeds, & all to no avail.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks, Shiri.

Hi Shiri,

I have the same problem with RSS (as Ultima was kind enough to point out).

However, I know another person who uses the same feed and lives a few kilometers from me... So the problem can't be geographical.

What ISP are you using? I'm using 012 Smile...

Anyway, I managed to solve the problem by defining a proxy server (my ISP's) at Options -> Preferences -> Connection. It's weird that you have to do that, especially given the fact that RSS worked perfectly fine until about a week ago with no need for a proxy server, but it solves the problem for me, so I'll guess I'll have to make do with it.

Tell me if it worked for you.

Fourier

Hi!

Got the same problem here, also with 012. Could you post the IP for the proxy? Also, I would appreciate if you could detail the right way to configure it (is it HTTP or HTTPS? what are the settings for Authentication/Resolve hostnames through proxy?)

Thanks in advance!

Fourier - thanks!

It turns out that proxy.012.net.il also works, so now my uTorrent is back on track, downloading RSS and updates .

I tried investigating and it looks as if 012 are managing traffic - the main difference that I found between IE (or any other browser) HTTP request and uTorrent's is the User Agent field, which says BTWebClient for uTorrent. I think it's wrong on their side to manage traffic like that - maybe it's time to approach YNet again...

• 1 month later...

Sorry to turn back to life a dead thread, but I just suffered the same things...

As it happens it started around the same time you guys had the problem, but I just got around to fixing it these days...

The proxy thing worked, but why?

and how come us 012 clients are the only ones suffering from this "bug"? is there anything "offical" to do about it?

And Fourier, you've been great help,

thanks

Ron

Hi Ron,

I'm glad I was able to help.

I suspect that 012 are trying to block P2P bandwidth as well, but protocol encryption in uTorrent prevents them from doing so. The only thing they can do is block non-encrypted connections, such as HTTP connections where uTorrent openly announces itself via the User Agent field.

However, it is possible that when implementing the block, they simply forgot about the possibility of connecting through a proxy server. There's nothing special about their own proxy, it's just one that was readily available so I used it. Any other proxy server will probably work equally well.

This is only my theory, though...

• 6 months later...

hello all. Sorry to be bringing this thread back from the dead, but I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm with Tiscali (now TalkTalk) UK and RSS feeds simply don't work on any computer for utorrent. If I visit the website and call the feed, it works fine, but not through utorrent. That simply gives me the red RSS icon after trying to update for about 1 minute. any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you for the reply Fourier,

Unfortunately i wouldn't know how to go about doing that :( Could you possibly explain?

utorrent downloads fine, even at a reasonable speed (I've throttled it to 300kb/s and only run it at night for 2/3 hours max).

Uninstalled, wiped all previous .dat info, reinstalled, but RSS issue persists.

seems that TalkTalk are taking steps to confine p2p even more :( :mad:

I looked around a bit, and it seems that TalkTalk does not have a proxy server of its own. However, you might still be able to connect using a free proxy server. First, go to this URL:

http://proxy.org/cgi_proxies.shtml

and choose some random server (preferably in the UK). Next, in uTorrent, press Ctrl+P and select "Connection". Below "Proxy Server" choose HTTP and copy the chosen proxy's address to the field next to "Proxy" in the preferences. Make sure that "Authentication", "Resolve hostnames through proxy" and "Use proxy server for peer-to-peer connections" are unchecked, and that no username and password are entered. Now try RSS and see if it works.

thank you for the swift reply Fourier.

I tried what you suggested, but didn't find any UK proxies that worked :( . tried a few others (from US and Germany), but none seem to do the trick... Maybe they require authentication? Used your settings and restarted utorrent after each try.

only using this rss feed

http://www.ezrss.it/feed/

well, i suppose I'll have to add the shows manually...

thank you very much again :)

Archived