Download caps at 25 kbps - strange problem

stanmart

Hi!

As the title says, I am having download speeds of 25 kbps. I use Win7 x64, I have wired connection, and have the green tick. My connection is 2048/192

I had this problem also with Vista and XP, so it isn't caused by the OS. There are two another computers in the network, but they are connected via WLAN. One of them has Win7 too, and has good DL speed, with the same torrent (230 kbps). The other one is a laptop running XP, and is DLing at 230 too. What really strange is, that I had this problem with my old PC too, so that can't be the problem. I have the same settings on all 3 computers, and the same firewall too.

So it can't be the ISP, it can't be my computer, it can't be my settings, it can't be my firewall, and it can't be my OS. I can only think of the router. But on wireless it produces good speed, why not on wired? (ofc I've tried using another LAN port on the router).

My router is an ASUS WL500gP.

Some additional info. When I am DLing at 20-25 kbps (the max I can get on this computer), Internet seems to be very slow, and speedtest.net shows a speed well below 1M (much less, than what the 20-25 kbps would justify. It should be around 2000 - 25*8 so approximately 1,8M. Just strange.

I am really confused, and I can not solve this. Earlier it wasn't a real problem, as I used the laptop for DL, but now I would need it on my PC too.

Any help would be really appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found out what the problem was. I had to update the firmware of the router. I remember, that I uptadet it once, but a new one is released since then. Now I feel so stupid cause I haven't thought of it. :S

Anyways, thanks for the help, and sorry for bothering you with it...

Archived