Trying to optimize uTorrent settings/preferences

neshtak

Hello,

Here wondering if it's possible to optimize uTorrent's settings/preferences even better than personal to increase download and upload(very low) speeds.

Stats from speedtest.net, chose the closest server:

DL 9.83 Mb/s

UP 0.51 Mb/s

Using uTorrent 1.8.5

Sometimes the download is as low as 20 kB/s, upload 0.2 kB/s, and sometimes the download hikes up to 100 kB/s or more, while upload is the same.

The below settings are out-of-date and might have been drastically changed!

diskcache.th.pngconnectionv.th.pngbandwidthd.th.pngbittorrentk.th.pngqueueing.th.pngdiskcache.th.png

Rogers Cable ISP is so hostile that I mention it in the 3rd link in my signature.

Rogers victims:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=63713

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=64621

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=443474#p443474

Both Shaw and Rogers use Deep Packet Inspection hardware called Ellacoya for Packet shaping/identification purposes...in short to monitor and disrupt BitTorrent and other "unwanted" activities.

See if TekSavvy or other more enlightened ISPs are available in your area.

Do a lot of research before you switch to anything...

In Canada, the choices are mostly bad and worse. :(

Alright, I followed Your chart(uber thanks), updated my WRT54G v3 to Tomato Firmware v1.27, and modded my TCPIP.sys to allow "50" maximim half-open concurrent connections, while in uTorrent > Preferences > Advanced net.max_halfopen left as default "8"(followed 3rd party tutorial).

The download speeds of certain torrents have changed a bit(from ~20-80kbps), but the recent one hiked up to ~400kpbs constant(picked the most seeded).

Right now certain settings got wiped-out from my router, so I had to re-portforward certain ports(uTorrent uses 45682 in my case), and uTorrent's "Test if port is forwarded properly" indicates it is.

But the main question is how should I best set the settings of the router, with Tomato firmware installed? Didn't find anything in the Tomato's documentaion, nor any threads that were much of use.

So the following are the most suspicious settings that I would like to know if they should be changed:

Router WRT54G v3 with Tomato Firmware v1.27

Advanced > Firewall

Respond to ICMP ping = CHECKED

Allow multicast = UNCHECKED

NAT loopback = "DISABLED"

Enable SYN cookies = UNCHECKED

Port Fowarding > UPnP / NAT-PMP

Enable UPnP = UNCHECKED

Enable NAT-PMP = UNCHECKED

uTorrent

Preferences > Connection

Enable UPnP port mapping = UNCHECKED

Enable NAT-PMP = UNCHECKED

Preferences > BitTorrent

Enable DHT Network = CHECKED

Enable DHT for new torrents = CHECKED

Enable Local Peer Discovery = CHECKED

Enable Peer Exchange = CHECKED

Also I tried to download Open Office, to check if I can reach my max download and I did(~900ish).

PS: Will you lose download speed if you decrease your upload speed?

Port 45682 for uTorrent sounds vaguely like what's recommended in all the really bad YouTube uTorrent speedup videos I've seen...

Did you disable SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) in the router? Many routers overload trying to handle all the packets uTorrent makes. :(

In advanced settings, reduce bt.connect_speed from attempting 20 outgoing peer/seed connection attempts per second to only 5.

Archived