uTorrent and static packet filters

GCRaistlin

I want to use uTorrent (only for seeding, not for downloading) on a Win2k3 server having static packet filters (instead of embedded firewall) enabled. It's impossible to grant different port access to different applications so the advice to allow all outgoing connections is not suitable here. I know about net.outgoing_port and net.outgoing_max_port settings. My questions:

1. How many ports should be granted to uTorrent by net.outgoing_port and net.outgoing_max_port settings? Does it depend on the number of seeded torrents?

2. Which UDP ports should be open for DHT? Which "Destination Unreachable" ICMP codes should be allowed for DHT?

Greg Hazel and Switeck, thank you very much for answers.

> The DHT uses the main BitTorrent port for outgoing packets, same as incoming packets arrive on.

Does that mean that if I use port 30000 for incoming connections I should open UDP port 30000 for outgoing connections?

The fact is that I googled the DHT question and found a lot of mentions of UDP port 6881 (even here in FAQ). I opened it, and DHT started working, but found not enough nodes (3 instead of 300 while all UDP ports are open for outgoing connections). I opened additional UDP ports from 6882 to 6889, which increased the number of found nodes to 20-30. So are UDP ports 6881-6889 of any importance for DHT or not?

Is it correct to use the same TCP port for outgoing connections as for incoming connections?

• 2 months later...

Greg Hazel

> 2. The DHT uses the main BitTorrent port for outgoing packets, same as incoming packets arrive on.

My settings are:

incoming port = 45202

net.outgoing_port = 45202

net.outgoing_max_port =45210

Open incoming ports:

TCP 45202

Open outgoing ports:

TCP 45202-45210

UDP 6881-6889

UDP 45202

Also open:

ICMP type 3, code 0-3 and 5-13

uTorrent is working (green icon), but DHT found only 12 nodes. If I opened all UDP ports for incoming and outgoing connections then number of nodes is increased dramatically. So what UDP ports should I open in addition? Have I opened some unnecessary ports? BTW: I use uTorrent on this machine for seeding only.

The incoming port is also used for DHT, so 45202 UDP-IN. As for out, I don't know if UDP traffic obeys those outgoing port settings. If it does, UDP 45202-45210 OUT would suffice and your 6881-6889 is pointless. It it doesn't, all UDP out. If some of those rules aren't present you'll have the connectivity issues you've described.

• 6 months later...

Archived