speeds go up and down

haamal

yesterday I upgraded my utorrent to 2.0 from 1.8.5 and I noticed that the speed is not steady as it goes full speed in one minute and the next it goes down to 0 and so forth and it takes forever to download something that takes an hour with 1.8.5 , so i went back to it and it works fine I just don't understand what's wrong with 2.0?

Same problem here: please see the graph enclosed.

g32nuziO.png

What I noticed happening is:

- uTorrent connects to a peer on a particular torrent (through uTP)

- upload to this peer goes up sharply

- after a few seconds of close to max upload it then starts falling to zero, until the peer gets off the peer list completely

- after a minute or so the very same peer appears in the list again, and same thing repeats

Edit: In fact, this seems to be happening exclusively when "Enable bandwidth management" is turned on. When it is off, the speed goes down to approx 1/10th of the peak achieved with the option enabled. Here's a screeshot with the option enabled, then disabled for a couple of minutes, then enabled again.

ngjT9fSz.png

Had the exact same problem since the later builds of 1.8.5. Needed to change bt.transp_disposition from 15 to 5 (i.e. set to TCP/IP only) to stop jigsaw speeds and get all my bandwidth to be used without constantly dropping to zero every several minutes.

Upgraded to 2.0, and the massive ups and downs were back. Again, changed bt.transp_disposition to 5 AND disabled "Bandwidth Management" in Bittorrent Preferences (which disables uTP).

In short: uTP causes this. Disabling it fixed this exact problem for me in both 1.8.5 and 2.0.

Had the exact same problem since the later builds of 1.8.5. Needed to change bt.transp_disposition from 15 to 5 (i.e. set to TCP/IP only) to stop jigsaw speeds and get all my bandwidth to be used without constantly dropping to zero every several minutes.

Upgraded to 2.0, and the massive ups and downs were back. Again, changed bt.transp_disposition to 5 AND disabled "Bandwidth Management" in Bittorrent Preferences (which disables uTP).

In short: uTP causes this. Disabling it fixed this exact problem for me in both 1.8.5 and 2.0.

uTP does not cause this, exactly. For proof, re-enable uTP and disable bt.tcp_rate_control. Let me know if that works.

uTP does not cause this, exactly. For proof, re-enable uTP and disable bt.tcp_rate_control. Let me know if that works.

Was the first thing I tried, actually. It seemed to make no difference, but admittedly I only let it run for a couple hours before getting fed up and going back to TCP/IP only.

I'll give it another shot, thanks for the super-fast reply.

uTP does not affect TCP directly, so the speeds of both combined should be greater than or equal to just TCP alone. bt.tcp_rate control actively slows down TCP based on information from the uTP connections present. Sometimes if there is not enough information, it can cause speed oscillations as you describe.

Either way, can you screen shot the peers tab while you are having problems (specifically while the speed is low)?

uTP does not affect TCP directly, so the speeds of both combined should be greater than or equal to just TCP alone. bt.tcp_rate control actively slows down TCP based on information from the uTP connections present. Sometimes if there is not enough information, it can cause speed oscillations as you describe.

Either way, can you screen shot the peers tab while you are having problems (specifically while the speed is low)?

I've left the system on for several hours with tcp_rate_control disabled, and the staggered up/down speeds have indeed leveled out and appear normal (with uTP on, transp_disposition at the default 15). I can only assume I didn't wait long enough the first time to see the speeds properly level out.

Thank you kindly sir for suggesting I try it again.

I've had this problem multiple times, and I have been able to fix it every time by reducing my bandwidth settings. Try setting the max connections to 300, connections per torrent to 25, and number of active downloads to 10... With these settings I am able to download at around 2MBs (Comcast Seattle area); last week I downloaded almost 150GB of data in a single session ( it was open for about 1.5 days before I restarted my pc)... I know this sounds like too simple of a solution, but try these settings, and see how it works for you.

p.s. I have the upgraded broadband package from my ISP, and they advertise it to run at 16Mbps, which is 2MBps, and I'm able to download at that speed steadily all day while sharing at 100KBps, so I'm obviously not being throttled. I actually had one torrent downloading at 1MBps almost the entire time it was downloading. :D

Okay, here we go. Here is the pack of screenshots, taken within several seconds of each other - you can identify the timestamp from the filename.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2wzmyjzmkhn/Screens.zip

I have blurred the individual IP addresses, but please pay attention to the German peer - over the whole period it is the very same peer. As I have described, it appears, speed goes up, peaks, then goes down, then peer disappears, then reappears.

The relevant settings in my client are:

bt.tcp_rate_control = true

bt.tranp_disposition = 15

Enable bandwidth management - Checked

Maximum upload rate: unlimited when not downloading (which was the case)

Global maximum number of connections: 800

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 125

Number of upload slots per torrent: 25

Please tell me how else can I help with debugging this.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not sure if this matters or not, but some of the other peers had the [uTP] flag after their IP, which I blurred as well... Tell me if you need screenshots that allow to see who's on uTP and who's not.

Edit 2: Erm, I just realized most people here may have been speaking about download speed - I am very sorry for the confusion, everything I said in my previous posts relates solely to the upload speed. I have not checked it for download, since normally I download well-seeded torrents that are lightning fast.

I have tried the download, and what is even more disturbing is the complete lack of speed on a -very- well seeded torrent. Also, on the peers tab, I notice that a lot of the peers/seeds have the "D" flag, but I am not downloading anything from them.

CmGF4dQ7.png

My line is a symmetrical 30 Mbps, so...

Yes, being able to see [uTP] is important.

Greg, many thanks for your willingness to help and patience!

"http://www.mediafire.com/file/zgqjfnjzzjn/screens 2.zip"

Here's another set of screens - now the same thing is happening on a torrent where the peer in question is the only one that is connecting to me on that torrent at that time. Initially, the peer was completely alone, after a few minutes a few other peers connected to me on that torrent, both didn't have the [uTP] after their IPs. Upload to them was slow but stable, didn't show any patterns like the case I am describing.

After a while, the peer in question connected again, and the same story repeated - essentially, what I had on my first set of screens a couple of posts up. It appears it does not matter, whether the peer is the only one connected, or whether other peers are on [uTP] or not.

How else can I help with debug?

I had the same problems with utorrent 2.0 and 1.8.5

I've had tried changing bt.tcp_rate_control and the bt.tranp_disposition; none of it worked.

I disabled net.calc_overhead and everything downloads and uploads at full speed.

If I enable it then the download speed falls down.

My adsl is max 10Mbps, and here is a screenshot of enabling the net.calc_overhead (you can see the cyan line of it) and then disabling it and the green line goes back up again.

l5rzJnFC.png

All of you with problems, try disabling net.calc_overhead for a while and see if it works for you.

Bat

Hi Greg,

If time permits I would appreciate if you would help with Advanced settings to counter speed fluctuations with v2.0. I'm relatively new and would not want to change something I had no idea about.

Thanks

Simple:

In uTorrent, Options > Preferences > Advanced > Highlight bt.tcp_rate_control in the list

Select "False" then hit "OK"

Archived