uTorrent 2.0 fail?

l2k

I downloaded 2.0 and tried it out.

It looks really bad IMO, the icons and bitmaps. Icons too big and square.

It has extra "limits" on what you can and cannot do, like updating the tracker.

It has a new tab called "Trackers", which is completely useless.

It has settings for "web UI". This could be useful for some people I guess, but I don't usually worry about how my torrents are running when I'm not at home.

It supports a new protocol that tries to limit the bandwidth more for some "noble reasons"... *disabled*.

Is there any improvements in this version I should know about before reverting to 1.7 again? I'm aware there are some security holes in 1.7, not worried about that.

Just to let you know I am not against all change or thinking 1.7 is perfect... I hope some of these make it in by 3.0:

~ option to pause upload/download individually and continue the other

~ save peer list across sessions

~ save peer list after removing tracker with private flag set

~ paste peer list, rather than add only 1 peer at a time

~ change icons (or whole skin), at least have a selection

~ light version that doesn't bother with rss feed or web UI components

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks really bad IMO, the icons and bitmaps. Icons too big and square.

That's what skinning support is for.

It has extra "limits" on what you can and cannot do, like updating the tracker.

So you feel it appropriate to engage in DoS attacks against trackers?

It has a new tab called "Trackers", which is completely useless.

Except when you're troubleshooting problems, and it's not new to 2.0

Is there any improvements in this version I should know about before reverting to 1.7 again? I'm aware there are some security holes in 1.7, not worried about that.

So you're not worried about hackers taking your system. Good to know.

The big thing that 2.0 has is better bandwidth scale-back when dealing with multiple applications sharing the internet connection.

~ option to pause upload/download individually and continue the other

Pausing upload while not pausing download won't happen. Pausing download is already implemented.

~ save peer list across sessions

For what purpose? The peers won't always be there, and getting a new peerlist only adds about 30 seconds to the ramp-up.

~ save peer list after removing tracker with private flag set

There are other issues with that. Ghostleech problems.

~ paste peer list, rather than add only 1 peer at a time

Previously requested.

~ change icons (or whole skin), at least have a selection

Implemented ages ago. Please catch up to 3 years ago on this.

~ light version that doesn't bother with rss feed or web UI components

As if having them available as options right now makes the program any heavier.

Is there a reason for the high memory use?

2.0, 1 stopped torrent

M: 8MB

VM: 80MB

1.7, 3 active torrents, ~80 stopped torrents

VM: 45MB

1.7, 1 stopped torrent

M: 3MB

VM: 35MB

If you don't want to upload, don't use peer to peer.

Meh I get along. :P

I don't see anything about webUI in 1.7, is it there?

I know RSS is everywhere, it just annoys me to look at it is all.

Well I can't see any reason to keep this new version and I can see several to revert, so I guess it's as good as settled. :D

Is there a reason for the high memory use?

2.0, 1 stopped torrent

VM: 80MB

1.7, 3 active torrents, ~80 stopped torrents

VM: 45MB

1.7, 1 stopped torrent

M: 3MB

VM: 35MB

If you don't want to upload, don't use peer to peer.

Meh I get along. :P

To measure memory usage, use Process Explorer and "Working Set". The "Virtual Size" depends on files uTorrent has open. When comparing versions, be sure to use the same settings.dat and resume.dat

If you notice a higher "Working Set", let us know. If you notice a higher "Virtual Size", let us know. Either way, send in the resume.dat and settings.dat so we can reproduce it.

The limits on how often you can do update tracker were not implemented in 2.0. It's been around for a long time and it's just following whatever limits the tracker requires.

The trackers tab is the only way to show tracker data properly. The old method was worthless.

I upgraded to version 2.0 when the system asked if I wanted to, and am now having problems with some of my active torrents. I get a message from the tracker that utorrent 2.0 is banned. Is there a way to revert to version 1.8, which I had no problems with?

Well, you should also ask your tracker to allow uTorrent 2.0.

Thanks for the quick response. I don't think asking the tracker to drop the ban is an option.

Here is the statement from one of the trackers that have banned version 2.0.

µTorrent v2.x has been banned from PWT. Both beta versions and the final release will not be allowed on this site due to the way it handles peering. This is not up for debate. The µTorrent crew has made their choice on how they want their client to act, so we have made our choice that it's not welcome on PWT.

The other tracker that has banned this version has no explanation I could find. So, is there an easy answer to my original question? I have been using utorrent for 3 years and have never had a problem like this.

Please tell me how I can revert to version 1.8. Thank you.

Well, I don't think PWT understands uTorrent 2.0 and how it does "peering". Are they going to keep all future versions of uTorrent banned? Perhaps you could find a different tracker which allows recent versions.

We do not support old versions. There are options in uT 2.0 to make it act like 1.8 if you prefer, but we are not going to link to, support, or continue releasing bugfixes for 1.8.

"Due to the way it handles peering"? That doesn't sound like a real reason, it just sounds like they heard something vague through the grapevine and decided to ban it. You should ask them to clarify and particularly to talk to us. We can talk to them about their concerns with 2.0.

"Due to the way it handles peering"? That doesn't sound like a real reason, it just sounds like they heard something vague through the grapevine and decided to ban it. You should ask them to clarify and particularly to talk to us. We can talk to them about their concerns with 2.0.

I agree. They are talking out of their ass, and if they have a concern, they need to bring it up with us, otherwise it won't get fixed.

About an hour ago or so, i updated to 2.0 - and how i now regret it.

My internet connection is cut off while the program is running. This appeared only minutes after i just downloaded the update. I had it up with a couple of downloads that halted about 5 minutes into the download process and my internet connection ceased but only during running µTorrent.

So, when µTorrent is active my connection will die within five to twenty minutes only resumed when µTorrent is shut off.

Anyone got any idea of why this might happen ?

I am Administrator on a private tracker and that is pretty much what happened with us. More it was a bunch of users having issues with 2.0 after update, so it was banned until more is known of "issues." Seems like this happens every time, people have issues with new version. Weird though, I have never once had a problem with any versions. You guys make a flawless bt client IMO. I will be going through the FAQ to help shed light on these problems and bring this fine client back in to good graces with my tracker.

"Due to the way it handles peering"? That doesn't sound like a real reason' date=' it just sounds like they heard something vague through the grapevine and decided to ban it. You should ask them to clarify and particularly to talk to us. We can talk to them about their concerns with 2.0.[/quote']

I am Administrator on a private tracker and that is pretty much what happened with us. More it was a bunch of users having issues with 2.0 after update, so it was banned until more is known of "issues." Seems like this happens every time, people have issues with new version. Weird though, I have never once had a problem with any versions. You guys make a flawless bt client IMO. I will be going through the FAQ to help shed light on these problems and bring this fine client back in to good graces with my tracker.

+1 uTorPWNS. +1

No Firon, it's not "something vague through the grapevine". It's actual testing. I also know that you know very well what kind of issues we've banned the client for.

I don't ban the most popular client on our tracker from "something vague through the grapevine". It was allowed until I was able to confirm µTorrent's behaviour myself and not only from reading other admins' experiences. I also know that you guys wanting to discuss it is not too true, considering that private trackers with ratio requirements aren't too high up on the µTorrent priority list :)

You guys have come out with a great client for public trackers. For private trackers, not so much.

Archived