uTorrent Data Send Error 10053

overkilled1

Hey, im trying to download a file and im only downloading around 40Kb/s and theres an error at the bottom that reads:

[2010-02-10 12:33:00] Data send error: A local networking problem closed the connection. (10053)

How would i go about fixing this? (yes i know its about the internet connection and mabey a firewall,) but i set the firewall to allow utorrent to do its thing. P.S. Its utorrent 2.0

Thanks.

-Ben

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately I can't offer you any help because I am in the same boat as you with the same exact situation, same error using uTorrent 2.0, and my router is a D-Link DGL-4300. I found both of your posts, this one and the one on Yahooo Answers by doing a search in Google for the error we are getting.

Hopefully someone can help us! :)

I have another post at portforward.com in an effort to resolve this problem. Just for the record in this forum, I am going to post more details about my situation in case it helps:

My Router is a DGL-4300 which shows the DHCP IP address range is between .100 and .199 and my former Static IP that I had setup was within that range.

So I now setup my Static IP at out of that range at .250.

I edited the Gaming Rule that forwards the port that uTorrent uses to allow the new .250 Static IP address.

It just so happened that automatic update checking of uTorrent alerted me to the new version 2.0 at exactly this same time (what a coincidence), so I upgraded and am now running uTorrent 2.0. I confirmed that Windows firewall is still allowing uTorrent as an exception, and confirmed that uTorrent is still using the same suggested port as before, which I have forwarded in my router (and for the new .250 Static IP) .

I ran the new Utorrent's setup guide/speedtest several times to different nearby networks and when it was testing upload speed it reported back the following error each time:

Bandwidth:

Results: Speed Test Failed.

Data Send Error: A Local Networking problem closed the connection. (10053)

Network:

Results: Port is not open. (You are still able to download).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm not sure what kind of things you've tried, but what worked for me was changing some Internet Options.

(In Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

I went to Control Panel -> Network and Internet-> Clicked on Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level

Under Miscellaneous, Access data sources across domains, I checked enable.

Everything seemed to work out after that.

Best of luck guys.

this is the exact problem in which im facing. Not only on Utorrent but other download engines as well. I have installed other programs but it doesn't fix it. I don't think its utorrents problem either. Its a windows problem. and this just recently started happening. Maybe it was an update. But if theres no problem in Vista I'm going to go back to it. Also when I was playing World of Warcraft it was laggaging also. Its a firewall problem. even do we allow it, it still blocks it. Typical vista. I turned it off once it fixed it temporarly. Im going crazy with this problem. Internet Explorer is working fine. The downloads from explorer. But on mozilla I'm having issues.

Hi, I had this same error message when I tested my utorrent. I have Windows XP and didn't see where to enable "data sources across domains"

I went into my wireless router administration page and turned off my router firewall and things worked great after that. I have Zonealarm for my firewall and that is sufficient for me.

I have a Belkin router. My steps to fix this were to paste http://192.168.2.1/ into my internet browser type in the username and password, click on firewall, then select disable.

<munched, horridly outdated info>

if you have more up to date info perhaps you could share it

I implemented the forwarding for the full range per the link and was able to complete the setup tests for the first time ever since using the latest release

if the port range has changed or you have a better solution that also would be good to know

• 5 weeks later...

i am now having this issue as well.

earlier today i got my ports forwarded then it was working fine, then someone from my isp came over and added a new jack to fix some connection issues and im having this error.

from what ive searched about this error it is either a registry or a ip address error, alot of what im seeing about this error is talking about proxies.

waiting for my isp to call back with a solution, hopefully they have one, if they do i will post it here for all to use.

edit:

ok, this may not work for all, but, i talked to my isp and it turns out that my isp caps download rates between noon and 2 am (14 hrs). it is that time now, i will check at 2 am and see if its faster, if for some reason it is i will post that here. my isp is bell canada.

so according to my isp there is no way to fix this, though they couldnt explain why i would get this error code.

• 3 weeks later...

You need to do both these things-works

A) Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet-> Click on Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level, Under Miscellaneous, Access data sources across domains, check enable.

B) disable DHT (right click at the bottom of the client-utorrent) and select disable DHT.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm having a similiar situation. A few days ago, I noticed that my download speed on otherwise healthy swarms was pretty low. I had more than 50% completed so I figured I should have good down speed. After poking around, I tried the speed test and I got Data Send Error 10053. I immediately googled the error and found this thread. I followed others' advice on how to fix the problem by enabling "Access data sources across domains" as well as disabling DHT. I retried the speed test and it then gave me the error "Connection failed error: A request to send or receive data was disallowed because the socket is". No typos; Apparently the error message runs past the edge of the uTorrent Setup Guide window, which isn't resizable. I retried again and got the 10053 again. Retried again. It worked! Retried again. Socket error. Retried again. 10053. Retried again. Works! Retried again. Socket error. Retried again. 10053. Etc. Etc. It doesn't matter how long I wait between retries. It continues the same pattern of errors. I ran the network test at measurementlab.net (the entity that makes the uTorrent speed test) and everything worked fine. Oh, and I'm running v2.0.1 also. I was running IPv6, but I disabled it all to be sure it wasn't that. Naturally, my firewall has the proper ports forwarded and I get incoming connections. Anyway, thanks in advance! Peace.

Edit:

I just noticed in the logger the entire message from the socket error. "Connection failed error: A request to send or receive data was disallowed because the socket is not connected and (when sending on a datagram socket using a sendto call) no address was supplied. (10057)" I need to get some sleep so I'll wait till tomorrow to search the forum for the 10057 code. Later.

• 2 weeks later...

This worked for me from - 9greeneyes9 - although I already had DHT disabled.

A) Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet-> Click on Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level, Under Miscellaneous, Access data sources across domains, check enable.

B) disable DHT (right click at the bottom of the client-utorrent) and select disable DHT.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with error 10053, but I was able to solve:

Network:

Results: Port is not open. (You are still able to download).

You must create a custom port. This guide helped me out.

http://www.lostintechnology.com/how-to/guide-to-opening-ports-for-utorrent-and-azureus

* If you are not using a Linksys router, ignore "192.168.1.1". Use your router IP address.

Hope this helps. (>'.')> :)

Thank you alanbooe and others! I solved my problem! I used this procedure:

:-)

Answer reguarding the help for "uTorrent Data Send Error 10053" when port forwarding doesn't work or speed test failed with red check mark....

THE ANSWER IS SIMPLER THAN YOU THINK!

It is the window services not activated to support torrent protocols. Push control alt delete, go to the "start task manager", services tab, push on the bottom right services button with the protection shield, a new window should open with the services, and make sure that bottom tab "extended" is selected, not the "standard. Look for the following services, right click "properties" and switch start up type to automatic.

AND

Go the windows firewall… under exceptions, add u-torrent program, check the boxes to have exception to the window's firewall… to the following already there """"Core networking;;; Network discovery;;; Windows Peer to Peer Collaboration Foundation

+++++++ 

UPnP Device Host "Allows UPnP devices to be hosted on this computer. If this service is stopped, any hosted UPnP devices will stop functioning and no additional hosted devices can be added. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start"

==

DHCP Client" Registers and updates IP addresses and DNS records for this computer. If this service is stopped,

==

DNS Client" The DNS Client service (dnscache) caches Domain Name System (DNS) names and registers the full computer name for this computer. If the service is stopped, DNS names will continue to be resolved. However, the results of DNS name queries will not be cached and the computer's name will not be registered. If the service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

==

Peer Name Resolution Protocol" Enables Serverless Peer Name Resolution over the Internet. If disabled, some Peer to Peer and Collaborative applications, such as Windows Meetings, may not function

==

Network Connections" Connections folder, in which you can view both local area network and remote connections.

==

Peer Networking Identity Manager" Provides Identity service for Peer Networking

==

Peer Networking Grouping "Provides Peer Networking Grouping services

==

Restart computer, run an active torrent for about 15minutes, then do the speed test, you should have 2 green check boxes….

Later :)

thanks alanbooe, it works perfectly now!

"Hey guys,

I'm not sure what kind of things you've tried, but what worked for me was changing some Internet Options.

(In Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

I went to Control Panel -> Network and Internet-> Clicked on Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level

Under Miscellaneous, Access data sources across domains, I checked enable.

Everything seemed to work out after that."

Best of luck guys.

• 1 month later...

I tried both

I still got this Data and Send error. I'm following Dexter's solution, but where's the services tab? i don't see it.

I am having the same problem now. I am using Windows XP. I figured out that the equivalent steps in XP for alanbooe's instructions are:

Control Panel==>Security==> Internet Options==> Security Tab==> Custom Levels==> Under Miscellaneous, Access data sources across domains, check enable.

However, I still have the problem. I tried it with utorrent DHT enabled and disabled.

Anymore ideas?

Thanks.

After Searching for this problem for hours on the net i figured it out myself.

When you first set up UTorrent you select your download speed, or upload speed your connection is able to do. you have to make sure you select the setting that applies to you the most, or UTorrent won't connect properly. If you don't know that no problem the test will tell you what speed you got at the end.

When you choose your closest location, i found that some of the locations get the error code, but others don't. For instance I live in Australia, but when I use the destination as Sydney Australia I get the error code, but if I select USA,WA Seattle as the closest test location it works fine.

Try changing the test location and see if it gives you the help, it worked for me.

Catchya

Archived