Very large overhead - retransmitting uTP packets near ISP max UL cap!

rafi

When I tried to not set any UL limit (and, BTW, this is the default) - it turned up that the overhead was very high when the speed was near th ISP connection upload limit.

The reason - was re-transmitting of packets. This does NOT happen with TCP.

Can you, guys, check if you see a similar effect with your ISP ? Is so, I would consider "helping" uTorrent to avoid that by, maybe, specifying an option with your line capacity and when enabled - always to keep uT UL speed bellow that.

uTP: Speed / overhead

retransmit3.th.png retransmit3a.th.png

TCP: Speed / overhead

[retransmit4.th.png retransmit4a.th.png

I'm not surprised that you would see a high resend rate when the connection is saturated. If I correctly understand how TCP and UDP work, it's the responsibility of each hop on the way to validate and resend TCP packets. With UDP it's up to the sender and receiver to decide what packets need resending. Probably a gross oversimplification, but from what I've learned over the years is that UDP is meant to be a "streaming" protocol where a "small" amount of packet loss is acceptable. If you're implementing anything that requires all the packets to be sent intact then the sender and receiver have to take on the additional load of verifying "completeness".

Just my 2 cents.

Since we dropped to page 2, it looks like no one here (admin/mod/dev) noticed this or wants to respond or troubleshoot this. :(

I have also seen that re-transmits increase (not in the amount I reported above) also when uT reaches a download limit.

Archived