updated to 1.5 and then nothing works anymore...

samhfoley

2 things have happened in the past week. I got a new modem and I updated to 1.5 Utorrent was working fine after updating the modem, but then once I upgraded to 1.5 it not only does not work, but it also crashes my internet connection. Any ideas as to why? Please help! I am using Windows XP with Zone Alarm Pro.

Thanks,

Sam

I have removed Zone Alarm completely and still utorrent is crashing my internet connection every time I launch it. Am now uninstalling utorrent and will try to reinstall upon restarting the PC. Downloaded Azureus and it works, but speeds are awful and eats up too many resources.

Hi, I am new to utorrent and so far all of my downloads are stammering/jumpy. The audio is fine. Also my port shows ERROR not open. Does this matter??

Can you rephrase your problem again please? I'm not understanding what your audio has to do with your torrents and a port being open. :/ Maybe I just need to sleep.

Are you meaning that you've downloaded a video(s) and the audio's fine, but the video's messed up? That's most likely a codec issue or a FUBARed rip. Either way, if that's what you're referring to, you have to go elsewhere for help with that.

Hmm, this looks like the closest thread to my problem.

I was using 1.4 happily and when up went to 1.5 things went downhill. I got slower speeds and less file availibility. Also when on, I couldn't surf/browse. When I turned it off, I got my bandwidth back. I using ZA as my firewall and did what Ultima said above but that didn't seem to help. Uninstalled and rebooted to no avail. I downgraded to the 1.4.2 beta and things seem to work fine now. What has changed that would cause 1.5 to kill the bandwidth?

Edit: Whoops, looks like I spoke too soon. Beta is acting like 1.5 now. Going back to 1.4 to see if problem percisits.

2 things have happened in the past week. I got a new modem and I updated to 1.5

Might seriously consider the possibility that your new modem isn't as bittorrent-friendly as your old one. First, use the speed guide and see how that does. If that doesn't work, start only one torrent, lower your global maximum number of connections and maximum number of connected peers per torrent to 90 or so, see how that affects your browsing and such. If browsing speeded up nicely, jump on several heavily populated torrents and start upping the numbers from there.

@Majik: And have ZoneAlarm bug him every time he opens µTorrent? I said "Always Allow" as in checking that box for that one open of µTorrent, not to ALWAYS allow µTorrent anytime. Obviously, if ZoneAlarm asks for permission again, something changed, which should raise a red flag in anyone's mind, unless they intentionally changed it recently.

@Majik: And have ZoneAlarm bug him every time he opens µTorrent? I said "Always Allow" as in checking that box for that one open of µTorrent, not to ALWAYS allow µTorrent anytime. Obviously, if ZoneAlarm asks for permission again, something changed, which should raise a red flag in anyone's mind, unless they intentionally changed it recently.

ZoneAlarm prompts for more than Internet access and whether or not to allow it to act as a server. It also prompts for other unsafe actions. You shouldn't tell just tell it to always allow absolutely everything.

µTorrent needs to be allowed full access.

No it doesn't. Don't misinform people regarding security issues.

I used ZoneAlarm up until last week when I changed OSs. The only access that has to be approved is for it to act as a server and for it to access the Internet. Those can be set to always be allowed (which will only prompt again if the program changes). Both TCP & UDP will obviously need to be allowed, but if you use ZA yourself, you should know that there are other prompts which shouldn't appear for µTorrent unless it's been compromised.

Everybody's answer (not just here) regarding firewalls is usually along the lines of get something better or allow everything. Wrong.. The answer is to configure it properly. There may be some which are incompatible with µTorrent and in that case, they would need to be removed. However, we're talking about ZA and a user doesn't have to allow absolutely everything for it to work.

You shouldn't be blindly allowing everything just because it (i.e. µTorrent) is a program that you use. If you do, then there's no point having a firewall. A firewall's weakest link is the user.

I'm not going to argue with you on this, since you're obviously not understanding me on the matter.

What exactly am I not understanding? The post I first responded to by you was "Always Allow for any prompts for utorrent.exe.". That's bad advice, plain-and-simple. Only certain prompts should be allowed and only certain ones should always be allowed.. Not always allow ANY and ALL prompts.

The fact that my advice was a one time thing, not telling samhfoley to always click Always Allow for ANY utorrent.exe warnings that pop up from ZoneAlarm from here on. The fact that in older builds of ZoneAlarm 6.x, if you have ctfmon.exe running, ZoneAlarm's OSFirewall will keep bugging you to allow it to access the process, which if you deny, you won't be allowed to type using the IME. The fact that I'm assuming he just upgraded to the latest version, which doesn't ask for any other permissions other than Access and Server (unless, as I mentioned above, he has ctfmon.exe). Maybe I should have been specific, but again, I was assuming he had just downloaded the executable recently, meaning it was clean. Maybe I'm assuming too much? =P

• 2 months later...

i am using 1.4 and have heard lots of negative feedback about 1.5. The trouble is for the last 2 weeks everthing I download starts ok but within 30min or less all the seeds/peers disapear and a get a red circle symbol with a white dash- inside it. If i exit uterrent and come back the seeds/peers start up again but eventually drop off. It is driving me crazy because my husband is constantly bitching about it and blaming it on me. Pls can someone help before I throw the comp at his head!! Do I upgrade or not, I dont want to risk having all of the other problems I keep hearing about.

j2b2 said: "i am using 1.4 ... The trouble is for the last 2 weeks everthing I download starts ok but within 30min or less all the seeds/peers disapear and a get a red circle symbol with a white dash- inside it."

You should probably upgrade to either the latest major version or even the latest beta.

Chances are, your computer's losing connections due to DHT. Try disabling DHT in µTorrent.

Archived