Downloading to WHS, Disk Overload and Specified Network Name Errors

jsnkid

Hi, I just recently started trying to download directly to my Windows Home Server and i am getting both continual "Disk Overloaded 100%" which goes away and comes back, but then a little later i always get a Specified network name is no longer available error.

I am using utorrent 2.0 on Windows 7

Any ideas on how to fix this would be awesome!

Thanks!

You're not alone!

WHS and a client with win 7 ultimate 64 bit

I got most of my torrents disconnected, after that I started getting IO Error 64 in the µTorrent logs, and now the Disk overloaded.

Did you build your own server? If so, what NIC are you using? I'm using the built in Realtek NIC on my Gigabyte mobo.

EDIT:

I did find one thing that could have something to do with this. One of all my drives in the storage pool was stuck in PIO mode. It could be worth checking this if you haven't already done so. Just this one was enough to reduce the speed of the whole server.

WHS shares seems much more stable now, will report back if it seems to have solved the case here.

Yes, i did build my own server. The NIC is the onboard nforce controller. Still havent really been able to solve this....been getting around it sort of by downloading one file at a time... and taking forever because when there is an error, it has to recheck....

has anyone found anything specifying a fix?

I did find what was causing the Overload in my setup. Have you noticed any sluggish behaviour with the whs lately? It could be that one or more drives have dropped from using DMA to PIO transfer mode. This will use plenty of CPU power just to transfer data to and from the drives.

I would suggest you log on to the whs and check all your drive controllers, and verify that no drives are in PIO mode. No drives should be in PIO, if you find any, remove that controller, reboot and allow to automatically reinstall and reboot again if needed.

If you've never done this before, have a look here under the workaround section: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472

(We've seen this in the whs forums as well lately)

Archived