net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip

jult

When I set one of the two (or both) to one interface ( 192.168.0.133 in this case, 10 Mbps )

and I have another interface ( 192.168.1.4, 100 Mbps ) in the same system

something weird happens when I [Enable] the second one.

I notice that uTorrent (or Windows XP in this case) can't seem to make its mind up; Half the time it tries to connect with the unbound newly available interface (192.168.1.4), all torrents slow down to zero, then it finds the right interface again and up they go. This goes on forever.

Looking at the "Speed" screen in uTorrent, with an interval of 10 seconds, it's clearly up and down and up and down like a sinus wave. Until I [Disable] the unbound interface, after which everything looks OK and stable again.

I have tried enabling and disabling several protocols on either of the interfaces, but to no avail. I have looked using ethereal and see that uTorrent partly still tries to use the unbound interface, even though it was already running fine using the other one. Any idea how this can be solved? Is this something related to Windows trying to spread the use over both interfaces, trying to give the upper hand to the second interface or something?

Yes, I noticed that. Darn, I need to use this badly. Is there anybody who knows how to make Windows not do this internal bridging stuff? It's probably WinXP only, because I don't have this problem in Windows 2000 with uTorrent.

Might have found it;

Configure the priority of networks known by the MUP

The following happens when an application requests a network resource using the Uniform Naming Convention (UNC):

1. The request is received by the Multiple UNC Provider (MUP)

2. The MUP checks it's cache for a recent handle to the wanted resource (Since the last 15 Minutes) if available it is returned

3. The MUP goes through the available network redirectors and ask them if they know the wanted resource (Sorted by priority)

4. Each network redirector responds back with a handle to the wanted resource if available (Asked synchronously)

5. The MUP returns the handle from the redirector which responds back first (Highest priority).

One should make sure the redirectors/providers (Like "Microsoft Client for Microsoft Networks" or "Novell Client for Novell Netware"), which knows the majority of the wanted network resources, has the highest priority.

To configure the priority of redirectors in Win2k/WinXP:

1. Open Control Panel

2. Double click Network and Dial-Up Connections

3. In the menu select Advanced and select Advanced Settings...

4. Select the Provider Order tab and set the priority of Network Providers

Note by default the Distributed File System (DFS) is always asked first (Independent of priority), this can be disabled with this registry key (Causes BSOD with the Mup.sys in Win2k SP4 (Q824288))

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System \CurrentControlSet \Services \Mup

DisableDfs = 1 (Default = 0)

Note MUP.SYS is usually the last driver being shown before launching the operating system, and if there is a problem with loading Windows, then it might seem like MUP.SYS is causing the problem (But it is not).

Configure the priority of protocols bound to the network services

When a service needs to make a network request it has to use a protocol. To get the fastest responses one should assign the highest priority to the protocol (Like "TCPIP" or "NetBEUI"), which gives access to the majority of the wanted network resources. Another way is to unbind/disable/uninstall protocols, which are not necessary for accessing resources on the network.

To configure the priority of protocols in Win2k/XP:

1. Open Control Panel

2. Double click Network and Dial-Up Connections

3. In the menu select Advanced and select Advanced Settings...

4. Select the Adapter and Bindings tab and in Advanced Settings - Connections select the network connection to configure bindings for.

5. In Bindings for Local Area Connections: set the order of protocols for each service for the selected connection.

Now all I have to do is try it out. I'll let you know here if any of this brings a solution..

( I got the info from http://smallvoid.com/tweak/winnt/network.html )

• 1 year later...

Do they have default netmasks? If they both use the default 255.255.0.0 they're on the same network and are assumed to be interchangeable. Windows will probably prefer the faster one in this case. So give them netmasks that makes them be on different subnets, like 255.255.255.0.

• 4 months later...

I have exactly the same problem:

- 2 NICs

- uTorrent bound to NIC1

- Datatraffic is down when both NICs are active

- When NIC2 is disabled things run smoothly

- Both NICs have hardcoded "Interface metrics"

- NIC2 has a lower metric then NIC1

My plan is to use NIC1 dedicated for uploading torrents, NIC2 will be used for everything else.

I just can't get it to work :(

• 1 year later...

Archived