Windows Home Server addressing

Chizumatic

I run uTorrent 24/7 on an old XP laptop that would otherwise be collecting dust. It only has a couple hundred gigabytes of HD, which isn't enough for all the torrents I'm seeding.

On my LAN I have an NAS (Network Attached Storage) running Windows Home Server. With version 2.0 of uTorrent, that works great. Right now I've got several hundred gigs of files on the NAS, and uTorrent on the laptop is able to use them. The NAS is called "Deneb" and I have a top-level directory there called "uTorrent". In the V2.0 "Directories" setup frame, I've got "new downloads" default path set to "\\Deneb\uTorrent".

That doesn't work in 2.0.1. Trying to do that results in a bunch of strange errors (e.g. when I try to use a torrent from there I get told "password is no good") but what it really means is that 2.0.1 doesn't understand that form of directory addressing, which 2.0 understood just fine.

I have retreated to 2.0, which once again works fine. But I thought I should report the error.

µTorrent can't use network shares that require a password, as far as I know. It will generally work if you're already authenticated in Windows, but it cannot actually give you a prompt for a password to use if you aren't already authed.

Archived