Move files command

trinop

I made this thread to consolidate two other threads (Move files when seeding is finished and On torrent deletion: Move files to a selected folder) because they had both evolved considerably from their original message and because i wanted to submit this to the Feature Request voting page with a clean thread so people don't get confused by all the old ideas in the original threads.

Feature: have a command to move files

Rationale:

The existing 'Move completed downloads to:" option is inadequate. Even when files are finished downloading, they are still seeding and thus in use and thus cannot be moved.

There needs to be a way to quickly and easily identify which files are 'finished' and can be deleted, moved, etc.

And people with installations on remote/headless machines or with automated archiving systems have an even greater need for an improved system.

The steps currently involved in clearing 40 torrents out of µTorrent:

1. identify a torrent that is finished

2. look at the actual name in the general tab (as the name in main listing and the download location don't necessarily match, another request for another time)

3. locate file/dir in explorer

4. drag to 'finished' directory

5. switch back to µTorrent and delete torrent there

6. repeat steps 1-5 thirty-nine more times for a total of 200 operations

The new method will change this to:

1. multi-select all torrents that are finished

2. move files

3. delete torrents

Implementation:

there are several ways to achieve this goal

3 directory method:

adds another folder to the preferences screen called the 'Finished folder'

if this folder is set, a menu item is added to right click called 'Move files to finished folder'

thus you can have a downloading, a seeding and a finished directory if you desire. If you don't care for a separate seeding directory, you can just leave that unchecked and you will only have 2 directories.

2 directory method:

If you don't want to add another folder setting, you can accomplish this by adding a radio button underneath the current 'Move completed downloads to:' with the options 'When download completes' and 'Manually'.

thus people who are happy with the way things work now can select 'When download completes' and experience no change in behavior while those who want the new behavior can select 'Manually' and the files will only be moved out of the download directory when you decide they are finished

0 directory method:

This option involves no changes in the preferences screen.

It simply adds a 'Move files...' command that when chosen pops up a file dialog box that lets you choose where to move the files. Presumably it would remember the last place you chose so you don't have to keep navigating to the same spot . . .

the last one is very simple and requires no changes to the preferences screen but does require an extra click.

the first two are potentially more powerful in that you can add radio buttons that specify when files are moved:

- when files finish downloading

- manually

- when seeding target is met

even the infamous 'when torrent is deleted'

or whatever conditions you can think up

the 'when seeding target is met' condition would be particularly helpful to those with remote/headless machines so they don't have to go into the interface at all!

One possible criticism is 'why not just put it in the correct folder to begin with?'

well there are several reasons:

- it is a remote machine and you have to move files off for permanent storage

- the download consists of a bunch of rars that you don't want to keep permanently

- you plan to burn it to cd/dvd

and finally some quotes from the other threads

I am currently seeding over 250 torrents at the same time, mainly from OiNK but also alot from Music-Vid, all very small torrents. I'm creating an archive with all these files, but need to keep my ratio up at the same time, therefore I'm always ending up seeding several hundred of torrents at the same time... But when a torrent dies, and they do, its no use keeping it in the torrents queue. But its really very much work to lookup the torrent in the download dir, then delete the torrent file, and _after that_ move it to where I want.
I really REALLY need something like this. I have n default folder set to download things in... and as my other request implies, I have a MASSIVE list of things being downloaded/torrented at all times. Anything to help clean up the UI in uTorrent and help me finalize files would be awesome.

A downloading/finished/finished seeding setup would save me a LOT of work. ... It really is a major pain to go find the finished files in my downloaded folder and move it out, then find the torrent in uTorrent and delete it. It doesn't sound like much, but when you are dealing with hundreds of files a week, it becomes a major hassle.

It would just make maintance easier as I'd know that the files in that directory could be deleted/archived and I wouldn't even have to go into uTorrent (very useful when running uTorrent on a server or something).

so if you like this idea, post here and if/when it makes it to the feature request voting page someone can bump it and let everyone know so they can vote there too

Merged double post(s):

Ok, has been added to feature request page now, so if you want this, vote for it

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the other issue i've run into is sometimes starting downloads in the wrong directory / wrong drive when the default save dir gets changed and i don't notice it for a while

yes i could stop the last 20 torrents, move the files, point each one to the new location and restart, but it would be a heck of a lot easier to just do a batch move.

One more reason i'm really starting to prefer the generic right click -> 'Move files...' command

It is more flexible and can be used in more situations and requires less change to the rest of the program

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived