Unique label == unique download dir

iBoRDarU

After searching the forum with different search queries, I couldn't get the answers and/or replies that I wanted.

As most of you I also use labels for the various stuff I download via µTorrent. One feature in my opinion is still missing, namely the option to set an unique directory for each unique specified label. I do not like the current label feature method by setting a single download dir and after completion of the torrent, moving the files around my hard drive partitions. This stresses the system unnecessarily.

So let me explain. In example I use the following labels:

Label Download Dir

DVD J:\DVD\

ISOs G:\ISOs\

Lost F:\TV-Shows\Lost\S2\

Battlestar_Galactica F:\TV-Shows\Battlestar Galactica\S2\

Software E:\Software\

EBooks I:\EBooks\2006\

As you can see for each consecutive label, I use a different directory across my partitions. Now I've to set the download dir manually, via the dialogue window, for each new download. Preferably I want this automated, solely based on the label.

Is it possible, to add this feature request to future versions of µTorrent? Also in this way and in addition to this feature a more robust system of different - non-global - ratio's per label type can be introduced as requested by several other members.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
The problem with that is that it doesn't allow full control of location. What if you want to save a particular label group to a specific hard drive? I would've suggested that as well, if this question didn't pop up in my head ;P

oh yeah didnt think of that xD

@firon

perhaps he means making a copy of files from one partition to the other stresses the system

I was thinking of something like this

http://www.nordlan.org/~lbrun/labeledit.JPG

Yes, this is exactly what I mean!

The main point was not the remove label part, but having the labels assigned to a directory where download goes.

Indeed!

... perhaps he means making a copy of files from one partition to the other stresses the system

You are correct. No more (manually) moving/copying files around partitions after the files have been downloaded successfully, of course when using the present label system set with a default download directory. This is what I mean with stressing the system. I hope I'm clear enough.

I was thinking of something like this

http://www.nordlan.org/~lbrun/labeledit.JPG

Awesome! I could totaly dig a dialog (or something in the Preferences) to set up labels like that!

As it stands now, the labels are useless to me (aside from the very rare time I want to look at all torrents of a particular group OTHER than Downloading or Active) because the folder organization they allow is very stilted. The ability to map labels to a download directory (rather than merely appending the label name to the directory) would ROCK. Constantly having to manually switch the path between "Shared Music" and "Shared Videos", and then provide appropriate directory on top of that is annoying at best. It would be so nice to have µTorrent automatically modify (and probably grey out as well) the save directory when a label is selected from the dropdown.

*throws $0.02 into the pot*

JigPu

• 1 month later...

I want the exact same thing..

But, I was thinking, instead of a seperate dialouge, in the presistant dialouge (or the new-label popup thing), you put something like [DVD|X:\DVD], or [iSO|G:\ISO]

Then, theoretically it should be easy to add it in, just check if the label is in the format [*|*], then use the first asterix as the normal display label, and the second one as the path to move the completed file to.. I'm sure it's as simple as that to impliment.. :P

- Ben

My PersistentLabels: "Animes|Software|Games|MP3|Lossless\Blues|Lossless\Classical|Lossless\Folk|Lossless\Jazz|Lossless\New Age|Lossless\Pop|Lossless\Rock|Lossless\Soundtrack|Lossless\Vocal". Noticed those \ backslashs!?

Cons: 1.Must at the same drive, 2.Long label names

Another workaround: use NTFS' junction/reparse point. (cmdline proggy from systeminternals called Junction) (something like symbolic links in *nix, but only links to directory IIRC).

Put new downloads in: F:\TMP

Move completed downloads to: F:\Labels

Only move from default download directory (for those torrents assigned different folders manually)

Append the torrent's label to the directory name

commands in cmdline prompt:

junction.exe F:\Labels\Animes D:\Animes (create a junction/reparse point F:\Labels\Animes target to D:\Animies)

junction.exe F:\Labels\Games G:\Games (junction point must at NTFS drive, but target folder can be FAT drive)

PersistentLabels --> JunctionTarget

-------------------------------------

Animes --> D:\Animes

Movies --> E:\Movies

Classical --> F:\Lossless\Classical

Jazz --> F:\Lossless\Jazz

Games --> G:\Games

Cons: Stress (move files from drive to another when download completed)

Due to the stress file moving operations, I prefer first approach with a large partition.

Thats.. a good idea, never though of that.. You can do the same thing with the disk manager snapin (Control Panel > Administrative Tool > Computer Management > Computer Management > Disk manager), and map a drive into a folder.. Although you really need to do it when you first setup the computer..

The stressing the harddrives by moving from one drive to another isn't really a huge problem (if it was built in to uTorrent), since you can already set the incomplete folder and complete folder on different drives.

The Junction program looks very interesting, might try that out..

- Ben

Archived