"Bandwidth allocation" - what does it do?

NOP

Hi,

I'm kind of new to utorrent, so what does "Bandwidth Allocation" do, switching from medium to "high"? And what is the difference to the settings in the network preferences, where I set my max. down- and upload rates - isn't that my bandwidth?

My "physical" bandwidth is a fast DSL connection, more than 10 MBit/s down and about 800 kBits/s up. So what will be my optimum settings, if I want to get the maximum possible connections for download?

Hi,

I'm kind of new to utorrent, so what does "Bandwidth Allocation" do, switching from medium to "high"? And what is the difference to the settings in the network preferences, where I set my max. down- and upload rates - isn't that my bandwidth?

My "physical" bandwidth is a fast DSL connection, more than 10 MBit/s down and about 800 kBits/s up. So what will be my optimum settings, if I want to get the maximum possible connections for download?

"Bandwidth Allocation" is I think setting priority on bandwidth allocation relative to other downloads, so it wouldn't make sense for example to set them all to 'high' setting

max down/up rates in preferences I set to 250 down and 50 up since my pipe can go max about 310 KB down and something like 90k up I think (in real terms), that leaves me some overhead for browsing and non demanding online gaming, at least that's how I understand it works, I am also fairly new to this

lets see what experts have to say

vanDivX

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've got a question re: bandwidth allocation. I've got 6 torrents (4 d/ling from public trackers, 1 idle seeding to a private tracker, and 1 seeding a brand new torrent to the private tracker which I'm uploading). There's 3 leechers on the torrent I'm uploading, but there's nothing being uploaded to them while I have the other torrents running. However, if I stop *all* my other torrents, the one I'm uploading starts to upload at 17KB/sec..

Now, rather than stopping all my other trackers, I'd quite like to have them continue running. I tried setting the bandwidth allocation for the uploading torrent to 'high', and the allocation for all other torrents to 'low'. But it seems to have no effect.

Anyone got any ideas?

What are you on about?

I have a 1Mbit ADSL connection, so approximately 105KB/sec download and a max of about 36KB/sec upload (note the capitalisation - I'm referring to KiloBytes per second).

As specified up the top, if I kill all other torrents, I can upload at 17KB/sec (so approximately half of my upstream capacity). If I enabled the other torrents, they were uploading at about 12KB/sec, which should leave plenty spare for the other torrent to upload. But what happens is that the seeding torrent just drops off and stops uploading altogether....

If your max is 36KiB/s, then 32KiB/s is way too high. About 28KiB/s is more like it.

Why? If you're referring to the 'upstream packet saturation' thing, then if 7-8KB/sec (nearly 25% of my entire upstream bandwidth) is far too excessive.

And besides, I'm not sure what your point is here anyway, on the basis that when I have the 5 public tracker torrents running, they top out the upstream connection at about 12KB/sec - they don't max it out at all. It just seems odd that if I have all 6 torrents running, my upstream usage sits at 12KB/s and the private tracker torrent doesn't upload, but if I kill the other 5, the private tracker torrent uploads at > 10KB/sec...

Archived