Disk Overload 100% - with new 2.2 version

seam76

Hi,

I've been using utorrent for many years now.

Recently, I've upgraded to utorrent 2.2 and when adding new files I get a Disk Overload 100% for 5 minutes straight. The hard drive keeps writing and writing, download speed drops to 1kb/s and utorrent stops responding all together until it finally finishes whatever it is doing. It seems to be utilizing the entire hard drive, because I can hardly do anything in Windows. After that, everything is back to normal.

I did not have this problem with the 2.0x releases.

I've checked the cache settings and they are default (the same I used under 2.0x).

I'm on Windows 7 64bit.

Thank You

It's allocating files on disk. There's nothing you can do about it.

Except that I never had this issue with the 2.0x branch.

Something in windows is preventing the allocation from happening in an efficient manner.

diskio.no_zero is set to what?

it is set to true

• 2 weeks later...

Same disk overload problem here. uTorrent 2.2 build 23235 on Win7 x64 and XP SP2 x86 (two different computers).

Last time I had such a disk overload problem was back when files were always allocated and zeroed (or something similar), and this time the overload seems to be related to that too. I had no problem with previous version I was using (2.0?).

Pre-allocate all files unchecked, diskio.no_zero is true, diskio.sparse_files false. Anything else related?

Edit: I wasn't using the latest build. I'll upgrade and see if the problem remains.

Edit2: Yep, build 23774 has the same issue.

I have the same problem. I'm on Windows 7 64bit, using Utorrent 2.2, latest build. Within minutes of starting a download, I get the disk overload 100% problem, then downloads slow down to a trickle. I've tried all combinations of disk cache and diskio.no_zero etc, but the most it does is delay the problem until the cache is full. One other symptom I have is when files are checking, they do so veeeeery slowly. As in 8-9 hours to check a 10GB file! But when I look at the disk activity and network activity under the speed tab, nothing is actually happening. It is as if uTorrent isn't actually requesting the data in the first place.

I've got the same problem. Upgraded to 2.2, and when new torrents are added the downloads and uploads drop to 0. The whole computer slows to a crawl as the hard drive cranks away. Then, when I try to close uTorrent, the window closes and the system tray icon disappears, but the process stays running. I have to kill it in task manager. And when I open uTorrent back up, it can take quite a while to check the files.

I never had any problem with 2.0, and I haven't changed any settings.

I'm on Windows XP SP3 32bit.

• 3 weeks later...

This is very frustrating.

There is obviously an issue here, and all I can find from the official sources on this forum are comments like "there's nothing you can do about it." "sounds like bad drivers".

Well there is something I can do, I can go back to 2.0.4, and, as if by magic, my bad drivers work fine.

I had this problem with utorrent 1.8 (or so I think, it was a few years back, it was an older version anyway), and no matter how much I fiddled with the caching options back then, it never just worked. I was very happy back when those troubles were resolved, and just as frustrated to see them back now.

Sure, no worries, 2.0.4 is fine for me, but for crying out loud, TAKE PEOPLE SERIOUSLY when they are reporting problems.

This issue is, for whatever reason, not present in 2.0.4, which means you can fix it.

• 2 months later...

Same issue, Disk overloaded 100% as soon as cache is filled (whatever size of cache I specify).

uTorrent 2.2, Win XP SP3

Never had this issue with any of previous versions or builds of uTorrent.

Disabling "write cache" helps but at the cost of worse performance as all data is immediately written to disk.

I also tried to uncheck "Disable Windows write caching" -- also works.

Increase disk cache size (Properties ->Advanced->somewhere in there) ... I have mine at 128 or 256 or something ... uTorrent only uses the capacity if it needs it anyways so you can set it to an astronomical number if you want.

I used to get the "disk overloaded" when uTorrent tries to allocate my 40+GB torrents .... my connection can easily fill the default cache in the amount of time it takes to allocate.

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted yesterday....nothing happen no moderator or administrator have answered....and I have tried some settings on my computer.....and some of my friends and worked....before you apply this settings uninstall any version of utorrent....and install the latest version from the home page(µTorrent 2.2.1 build 25130 ) then this

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8167/corect.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/i/thisw.jpg/

even 500 for disk cache it's ok

after applying this settings restart utorrent

Done

• 1 month later...

Tried all of the non-reinstall fixes, nothing worked. Uninstalled 2.2, reinstalled 2.04, works like it used to. This needs fixing bigtime. I was down to 10 kB/s downloading, after reinstall I'm hitting 750 kB/s on the same exact torrents just minutes later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I have posted yesterday....nothing happen no moderator or administrator have answered....and I have tried some settings on my computer.....and some of my friends and worked....before you apply this settings uninstall any version of utorrent....and install the latest version from the home page(µTorrent 2.2.1 build 25130 ) then this

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8167/corect.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/i/thisw.jpg/

even 500 for disk cache it's ok

after applying this settings restart utorrent

Done

this seemed to work for me...but only after i restarted the client. been monitoring the down speed for about 15 minutes now and haven't seen disk overloaded message yet. i have about 20gb in 6 files downloading around 2-3 mbps. thanks MirceaForce!

Archived