Torrents don't start, status shows "Error: ??"

marsbar

As soon as I add a torrent it immediately goes to an error state with the text "Error: ??" in the Status column.

I am testing using a publicly availalble torrent of an Ubuntu distribution.

No errors are shown in the Logger window or in the log file. I have done "export LOGMASK=65535" prior to starting the server.

Any ideas of what I can check?

The following JSON response came from the server when trying to start this torrent. Note "Error: Former volume not mounted.". Any idea what this means?

{"build":23418,"label": [

]

,"torrentp": [

["D29F05E03AA1C4C4D3A2637391D5C0926BFC0C9D",152,"ubuntu-10.10-server-i386.iso",657735680,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,"",0,0,0,0,104,1,656932864,"","","Error: Former volume not mounted.","19e38760",1291834394,0,""]]

,"torrentm": [

]

,"torrentc": "1692931997"

,"rssfeedp": []

,"rssfeedm": [

]

,"rssfilterp": []

,"rssfilterm": [

]

,"messages": [

]

}

I've noticed that references to the error I describe are often down to missing drives, or incorrect permissions on directories.

I've double checked that all the directories I set up for incoming, auto etc, all exist and are read/writable by the user running the utserver process. Additionally I copied just the utserver and webui.zip files to a different folder and ran it without a config so everything should end up in the same folder, still getting that error.

This is on a hosted VPS server, I installed the utserver on a linux desktop at work and it worked fine, but I've checked the memory on the VPS and that's all fine, as well as there being plenty of free disk space (certainly enough even to preallocate the torrents I am downloading)

I reimaged my VPS, didn't install anything other than wget to download the utserver archive with, ran it and even with this clean state I get the same error.

I've looked in the JSON and it is still the "Former volume not mounted" problem.

The output of mount gives only this:

/dev/simfs on / type reiserfs (rw,usrquota,grpquota)

Can't think of what else to check. Or to do. Might try to reimage with a non ubuntu variant, but I can't see how it will help.

"Former volume not mounted" problem.

Can't think of what else to check. Or to do.

Thanks for the investigative work. Reporting that error message helped narrow down the possibilities.

Recently some code was introduced to attempt to detect whether or not the file system associated with a path is currently mounted. I'm curious what the contents of /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab on your system where you see this problem. You could also compare that with those files on those system where you are not seeing this problem.

Archived