[2.2] uTorrent 2.2 running in background, but no GUI

GD

Hi guys,

Just installed v2.2 and now when I reboot my computer the application is not visible at all.

I can see in the task manager that it's running, but there's no GUI. No window, no tray icon. Nothing.

I tried manually shutting it down and running it again, but I get the same result.

Please fix this ASAP. I'm downgrading to an earlier version in the meantime...

Win XP SP3.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi guys,

Just installed v2.2 and now when I reboot my computer the application is not visible at all.

I can see in the task manager that it's running, but there's no GUI. No window, no tray icon. Nothing.

I tried manually shutting it down and running it again, but I get the same result.

Please fix this ASAP. I'm downgrading to an earlier version in the meantime...

Win XP SP3.

Same problem here, under Windows7 64bit. Pain in the arse, now I can't do a damn thing with it. Absolutely useless since this 'update' - thanks for nothing! Any recommendations on a better client that's not gonna bork my install with a bad update???

You can downgrade to an earlier version.

Go to <site not allowed>.com and look for the utorrent. There's a list there of earlier versions.

I'm back to 2.0.4 and it works a charm.

<munched by admin - WE DON'T SUPPORT OLD VERSIONS, THAT INCLUDES FINDING THEM - dwk.

I provided the information I had. No one had contacted me asking for anything else. If the developers need more info, I'll gladly help out.

Since this bug caused uTorrent to become totally useless to me, I had to downgrade. For some reason, and unlike most other applications available online, you decide not to keep older versions. Fine. That's your choice. Luckily, other sites do offer this option. And since another user encountered the same problem, I thought I might help them out...

I have the same or similar problem. I have Windows 7 64bit.

When I start uTorrent.exe the process is only running in the background, it even has network traffic and seems to up-/download torrents, but there's no GUI. In Process Explorer when right-clicking a GUI process there should be a "Window" submenu, but with µTorrent it's greyed out.

This seems to be triggered when µTorrent isn't exited manually. And it only goes away when I replace the AppData\Roaming profile with an older backup. It can be triggered by a hard crash of the operating system, or by normal shutdown, when I don't exit µTorrent manually before shutting down.

The bug seems to sit in the resume.dat and settings.dat files. I guess when they are not in sync. When I add a "bad" settings.dat to the uTorrent folder, and start µTorrent, no window will show. When I then kill µTorrent and replace the bad settings.dat with the good one, µTorrent will still not show a GUI. I also have to replace the resume.dat with the resume.old.

Please fix it, it's totally annoying, although manageable as long as I keep a working copy of the two working dat files.

Looking into settings.dat with a hex editor I see such items as "download_hist", "add_dialog_hist", "dir_completed_torrents_flagxxxx:dir_last", "tracker_last" which contain paths to torrent sub-directories and a password hash key.

No way I will send anyone that file!:lol:

Damn it! After µTorrent 2.2.0.23774 has been running fine with a complete new profile made from scratch, it just happened again. No main window but the dialog windows for adding torrents do show up.

And again the trigger is this: I installed a patch and had to reboot Windows, but I didn't exit µTorrent manually, it was killed by Windows.

Isn't Windows supposed to wait until a program exits properly at shutdown/reboot? I don't want to exit every damn program myself before reboot and I usually don't, because that's just mental. And no, I never had this problem with previous µTorrent versions. Always led Windows kill it at shutdown.

Oh, there is data in it, that is private enough to me.

Would it be ok, if I replace the private data with "x"es and then send you the file? For example "gui.persistent_labels" or "tracker_last" and others? If not, then I'm afraid this bug needs to remain unfixed.

I wonder why such things as the history and the categories must be inside the settings file? eMule does it correctly from a privacy standpoint, there all those things are saved into seperate files.

Archived