Randomly moves download folder into completed folder

mrpendulum

This is a rather strange issue that I can't figure out.

I have an external hard disk mounted under "/mnt/usb/". Within this folder there are two directories, ".incomplete" and "completed".

Under the webui, I have configured the directories to:

Put new downloads in: /mnt/usb/.incomplete

Move completed downloads to: /mnt/usb/completed

Now this works. And it works for the most part. But now twice over the past month I have had this occur. The following appears in utserver.log:

[09:05:15] Moving files from '/mnt/usb/.incomplete' to '/mnt/usb/completed/.incomplete'

[09:05:17] Error opening "/mnt/usb/.incomplete/xxxxxxx"

(where xxxxxxx is an in-progress download)

This isn't triggered by a completed download as 1) The download is still in progress 2) it shouldn't be creating a new .incomplete folder under completed, and 3) The in-progress download enters into an error state as the files aren't where they are expected.

The fix for when this occurs is to stop the utserver daemon, move the files back to .incomplete, start the daemon again, and from the webui trigger a re-check of the file.

Please tell me that I've misconfigured something here, otherwise it would appear to be a bug.

EDIT: This is under Ubuntu Server 10.10

now twice over the past month I have had this occur. The following appears in utserver.log:

[09:05:15] Moving files from '/mnt/usb/.incomplete' to '/mnt/usb/completed/.incomplete'

[09:05:17] Error opening "/mnt/usb/.incomplete/xxxxxxx"

(where xxxxxxx is an in-progress download)

This isn't triggered by a completed download as 1) The download is still in progress 2) it shouldn't be creating a new .incomplete folder under completed, and 3) The in-progress download enters into an error state as the files aren't where they are expected.

If you can find a way to consistently reproduce this, let me know.

The fix for when this occurs is to stop the utserver daemon, move the files back to .incomplete, start the daemon again, and from the webui trigger a re-check of the file.

Certainly a reasonable thing to try.

Please tell me that I've misconfigured something here, otherwise it would appear to be a bug.

I would guess it is a bug. Your report is otherwise usefully informative, but I probably can't do much with it until I have a way of reproducing the problem reliably.

Thanks mcdonald. It certainly is an odd one.

It occured again overnight. It has happened twice now with the same torrent, which is approximately 20 avi files. It is also the first torrent with more than 3 files I have downloaded on this server. Here is the utserver.log in it's entirety:

[13:55:11]  IPv6 is installed
[22:29:04] Moving files from '/mnt/usb/.incomplete/download1' to '/mnt/usb/completed/download1'
[23:45:06] Moving files from '/mnt/usb/.incomplete/download2' to '/mnt/usb/completed/download2'
[08:05:41] *** download3 - NXOR: PIECE 86 FAILED HASH CHECK
[08:47:38] *** download3 - NXOR: PIECE 29 FAILED HASH CHECK
[10:51:23] *** download3 - NXOR: PIECE 100 FAILED HASH CHECK
[12:44:16] *** download3 - NXOR: PIECE 70 FAILED HASH CHECK
[08:24:16] Moving files from '/mnt/usb/.incomplete' to '/mnt/usb/completed/.incomplete'
[08:27:38] Error opening "/mnt/usb/.incomplete/download3/download13-19.avi.!ut":

I have a sneaking suspicion this may be related to the appeding of the !ut to in-progress files, and this may be occuring as one of the files inside the torrent is completing.

I'll manually fix this and turn off the !ut appending, and see if it happens again.

utserver.log:

[22:29:04]  Moving files from '/mnt/usb/.incomplete/download1' to '/mnt/usb/completed/download1'
[23:45:06] Moving files from '/mnt/usb/.incomplete/download2' to '/mnt/usb/completed/download2'
[08:24:16] Moving files from '/mnt/usb/.incomplete' to '/mnt/usb/completed/.incomplete'
[08:27:38] Error opening "/mnt/usb/.incomplete/download3/download13-19.avi.!ut":

I have a sneaking suspicion this may be related to the appeding of the !ut to in-progress files, and this may be occuring as one of the files inside the torrent is completing.

I'll manually fix this and turn off the !ut appending, and see if it happens again.

I think it may relate to the !ut naming also. I recall reporting a similar problem with just the !ut appending, but I think nobody here could reproduce the problem. So, the combination of !ut and the file moving (and maybe multi-data-file torrents) may be a problem. That may help me look for the problem.

I think it may relate to the !ut naming also. I recall reporting a similar problem with just the !ut appending, but I think nobody here could reproduce the problem. So, the combination of !ut and the file moving (and maybe multi-data-file torrents) may be a problem. That may help me look for the problem.

I think I was the one who reported problems with !ut files and moving.

Because I run the uTorrent server in a KVM guest, sharing the files over smbfs, we concluded that that might be the problem, besides, it seemed to be resolved at the release after.

Well, know I think I have a problem, not exactly the same, but possible based around the same bug:

For the last 2 releases, I wasn't able to use labels. This release (06. Dec) made it possible to change label on torrents.

What I see now is that uTorrent somehow creates a downloading directory under the finished directory. E.g:

Put new downloads in:

/torrent/downloads/downloading

Move completed downloads to:

/torrent/downloads/finished

Append the torrent's label is selected

In general, I have also selected for appending .!ut and pre-allocate the files.

What I see when in my file structure is that

/torrent/downloads/downloading have been moved under the directory of the last label I selected.

How to re-produce:

Set the preferences like I did.

Download 1-2 files without any labels, let them finish.

Start downloading new files, change label on them.

The downloading directory has been moved under the finished/label/ directory.

Let me know if this is not related, I can always create a new topic. I thought they was related, therefore adding my obervations.

Mam

What I see now is that uTorrent somehow creates a downloading directory under the finished directory. E.g:

Put new downloads in:

/torrent/downloads/downloading

Move completed downloads to:

/torrent/downloads/finished

Append the torrent's label is selected

In general, I have also selected for appending .!ut and pre-allocate the files.

OK - I just deployed your setup, except I used relative paths ./downloads/downloading and ./downloads/finished, relative to the root installation directory where utserver binary is located. I thought more than one directory level may be important in reproducing the problem.

What I see when in my file structure is that

/torrent/downloads/downloading have been moved under the directory of the last label I selected.

How to re-produce:

Set the preferences like I did.

Download 1-2 files without any labels, let them finish.

I'm interpreting this to mean: download a multi-file torrent, but skip downloading all but one or two files of that torrent, and let those one or two files finish downloading.

Start downloading new files, change label on them.

I'm interpreting this to mean: using the same multi-file torrent, change the priority on the skipped files to normal, create a label for these files, and let these files finish downloading.

However, I didn't need to do any of this. As soon as the first one or two files finished downloading, utserver moved the downloads/downloading directory to within the downloads/finished directory (and removed the !ut from the end of the file names).

The downloading directory has been moved under the finished/label/ directory.

To continue, I changed the priority of one of the undownloaded files from skip to normal. The file is downloading to the downloads/finished/downloading directory where its preallocated file is located. The file's download completed, and the file was renamed to remove the !ut ending.

When attempting to add a new torrent, I get the expected error because the former active directory no longer exists at the expected path.

Let me know if this is not related, I can always create a new topic. I thought they was related, therefore adding my obervations.

Seems related enough at this stage of investigation.

I'll write up an issue, referencing this thread. Thanks for the detailed report.

I'm interpreting this to mean: download a multi-file torrent, but skip downloading all but one or two files of that torrent, and let those one or two files finish downloading.

My bad, what I meant was that after I have finished downloading all files in 1 or 2 torrent files, I start downloading new things using a new torrent. Setting label on this torrent file, starts the problem

To continue, I changed the priority of one of the undownloaded files from skip to normal. The file is downloading to the downloads/finished/downloading directory where its preallocated file is located. The file's download completed, and the file was renamed to remove the !ut ending.

When attempting to add a new torrent, I get the expected error because the former active directory no longer exists at the expected path.

What I see is that the downloading directory (which in my case is the downloading directory, the last directory in the path) was moved to the finished path, under the last selected label.

Ok,

I did som more experiments. I did not go back to re-produce the problem, but rather continued with the situation I was in:

So, after the error, the /torrent/downloads/downloading was moved to /torrent/downloads/finished/label/downloading.

This makes the /torrent/downloads/downlading non-existing.

For further testing, I deleted /torrent/downloads/finished/label/downloading and stopped all torrent in downlading state, forced re-check and then started again.

My observations are:

The files that I marked to the last label was started in /torrent/downloads/finished/label/downloading. This means that the /torrent/downloads/finished/label/downloading was re-created and the downlading files allocated in this directory.

A torrent that do download something, creates the directory in the finished directory:

If I download mini.iso with label ubuntu, the file was allocated in /torren/finished/ubuntu/mini.iso.!ut

Files that has been started, but not receiving any download parts, seems not to allocate any files.

To sum up:

The torrents marked with the label downloads to the finished directory, under downloading.

The other files are placed in their finished directories.

Give me a wink if you need me to really re-produce the problem, to give you an 100% step-by-step of my problem.

As for now, I do not download more with utorrent server before this is resolved.

As for now, I do not download more with utorrent server before this is resolved.

Try putting a slash at the end of the paths you specify in the configuration file for the active and completed directories (e.g., /torrents/downloads/downloading/ and /torrents/downloads/finished/). That works around the bug for me, and I seem to recall somebody mentioning that as a workaround in the forum.

Try putting a slash at the end of the paths you specify in the configuration file for the active and completed directories (e.g., /torrents/downloads/downloading/ and /torrents/downloads/finished/). That works around the bug for me, and I seem to recall somebody mentioning that as a workaround in the forum.

That seems to fix it. I thought I already did that, but it wouldn't save. A reboot fixed that too.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for my lack of updates.

Look like the appending of !ut to files was unrelated, as this has gotten progressively worse with each build.

I'm not sure what new feedback I can provide, but as it stands I'm seeing this now with every file in a torrent completing. Considering that I often download torrents with 100+ files, this is a complete deal breaker.

I'm not complaining, cause the work being done on utserver is awesome. But if I don't see a fix for this soon, I'm going to have to move to other software :(

Look like the appending of !ut to files was unrelated, as this has gotten progressively worse with each build.

as it stands I'm seeing this now with every file in a torrent completing. Considering that I often download torrents with 100+ files, this is a complete deal breaker.

if I don't see a fix for this soon, I'm going to have to move to other software :(

I'm preparing another release. I was hoping to have 32- and 64-bit builds release this time, but it will be 32-bit only again. There's one subsystem that hasn't been made 64-bit clean yet, and I found today that the subsystem is causing a crash within minutes of starting a stress test. So, that system is being worked on.

The new (32-bit) release will have more bug fixes in generic code; there have been some fixes regarding the !ut appending. If all goes well, I'll give Firon a new release on Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha all ...

I came here today to report the same issue, and I must say I'm glad I'm not the only person to have been hit with it.

Here's a breakdown of my particular setup:

CentOS 5.5 x86

I do NOT append .!ut to incomplete files

Directories:

* new downloads: /home/torrents/downloads/2_Downloading

* completed downloads: /home/torrents/downloads/1_Completed

* Store .torrents: /home/torrents/downloads/3_Torrents

The log file only says what time the "new downloads" folder got moved, but not when.

I have this in the log file:

[15:11:44] Moving files from '/home/torrents/downloads/2_Downloading' to '/home/torrents/downloads/1_Completed/2_Downloading'

I *think* it may have something to do with deleting a torrent and it's data, but I'm not sure as this issue doesn't pop up consistently.

Either that or uT moved the whole folder instead of the lone video file it was downloading.

I'll try and see if I can recreate this again.

EDIT: Well that was easy. I used isohunt to find something to download (Literally, I searched for "something") and came across a torrent to download Nirvana's Nevermind. All the songs weren't placed in a subfolder, and as soon as it got down, my 2_Downloading folder got moved into 1_Completed.

It was the only torrent I had going at the time. I'm now going to try re-downloading it, and a 2nd torrent at the same time, and see if this time it just moves the mp3's, or if it tries moving the whole folder again.

EDIT #2: Ok, so I redownloaded the Nirvana Nevermind album again (81 megabytes, very quick) and then added the Ubuntu 10.10 DVD. The folder got moved, however, instead of the Ubuntu download erroring out (like I assumed it would), it's continuing to download in /home/torrents/downloads/1_Completed/2_Downloading

I need to find a download that is contained in a subfolder.

EDIT #3: Downloading a movie right now - here's the weird thing: on my uTorrent windows box, the movie had its own folder created, and the movie and associated subtitles files were properly created within the folder. On my Linux uT Server though, the same movie did NOT get its own dedicated folder created. I'm downloading 2 different torrents actually, both of which had their complete contents dumped into the 2_Downloading folder. I know it USED to make the dedicated folders for the torrents, as I have stuff in the 1_Completed directory to prove that.

I came here today to report the same issue, and I must say I'm glad I'm not the only person to have been hit with it.

Directories:

* new downloads: /home/torrents/downloads/2_Downloading

* completed downloads: /home/torrents/downloads/1_Completed

* Store .torrents: /home/torrents/downloads/3_Torrents

The log file only says what time the "new downloads" folder got moved, but not when.

I have this in the log file:

[15:11:44] Moving files from '/home/torrents/downloads/2_Downloading' to '/home/torrents/downloads/1_Completed/2_Downloading'

Ensure each directory path you specify in those settings ends with a slash. This is the work around for a bug that does what you have seen.

Ok, I added a / to the end of /home/torrents/downloads/1_Completed/ & /home/torrents/downloads/2_Downloading/

And it still exhibited the same behavior, with the added bonus of actually deleting the 2_Downloading folder when I gave it the remove and delete command.

I realized I didn't add a / to the end of /home/torrents/downloads/3_Torrents. so I just added it and am redownloading the Nirvana torrent to test. Will edit with results.

EDIT: Yup, same results. Only thing I haven't tried is restarting the uT Server process ....

EDIT 2: Restarting the process exhibits the same behavior.

EDIT 3: from THIS thread, I tried downloading the .torrent file to my hard drive, then uploading it to my uT Server. It created the "Nirvana" folder like it's supposed to, and when it completed, it moved the "Nirvana" folder to 1_Completed, leaving 2_Downloading alone.

I would venture that the best workaround would be to manually download the .torrent file, then manually upload it for the time being.

Using Transdroid on my cel phone I get the "bad" behavior (no folder created, 2_Downloading moved) - I'm assuming it uses the same query as pasting in a web link or the "Send to WebUI" plugin?

• 3 months later...

I'm having the exact same issue. I even note that the server is putting this message into the log:

Moving files from '${complete_dir}/incomplete' to '${complete_dir}/${label}/incomplete'

I've tried to specify all directories with and without trailing slashes, and it makes no difference.

I noticed that the "incomplete" path was showing up in my resume.dat. I've removed the file, and now the same torrent I was testing with downloads successfully. Keep in mind that this makes utserver forget about all of your previous downloads as well.

I still have my old resume.dat file, if someone wants it for debugging.

Archived