Bug: Downloads do not stop when disk is full

yipikaye

When the disk is full the log scrolls with pages of I/O errors. It continues to download the same chunks over and over until it is manually stopped. It should stop the downloading file or only allowing it to upload the finished chunks.

There have been recent efforts to sense disk full conditions and suspend downloads in that case. It's possible that the current release doesn't have that code and that the upcoming release will work correctly. It is also possible that disk full detection isn't feeding back to the higher layers handling downloads; trying the upcoming release should show which is the case.

• 6 months later...

Hi, any progress on this issue?

I can tell you this is by far the single most annoying issue of the Linux Alpha version right now.

I am running 25053 and when the disk space runs out it just continues downloading, no reaction to not being able to save the cached data. I once downloaded 3Gb from a torrent that was 178Mb, this according to the counter of downloaded size in utorrent.

Not only this, the downloaded torrent has incorrectly registered pieces as downloaded, that is it is downloaded but not written to disk due to no disk space (again no reaction in the software to this error condition) and there seems to be no write retry when you free up disk space as more often than not downloaded torrents marked as completed after a low space situation sometimes come up as low as 60% downloaded after a re-check.

Now there must be several different ways to deal with this and I wouldn't mind if I initially had to recheck the file when the error conditions are met, I have to do that anyway, but some indication to this is absolutely necessary.

Best regards and thanks for an otherwise great software.

Hi, any progress on this issue?

I am running 25053 and when the disk space runs out it just continues downloading

In late June an engineer found and fixed a problem with the feedback system that provides information to the downloading system regarding "congestion" on the disk (maximum congestion would mean running out of disk space). I'm guessing this will resolve what you have been seeing.

Next, I just need to get some time to test a candidate release. I've also fixed timestamps on log messages so that they show the correct time, so there will be some other fixes that show up. I should be able to test on 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu and Debian all at once. The only thing that I think will be newly broken that wasn't (as) broken in earlier releases is the possibility that local peer discovery may not work as well as before.

Archived