uTorrent crashes my whole computer constantly

Ouroboros

I really love this program. I get great connections and great download speeds, but it is constantly crashing my computer. Sometimes it forces a restart, and sometimes my whole computer just locks up. Also, sometimes it makes my computer think that the network cable is unplugged, but I can easily fix this by disabling and re-enabling my connection in Network Connections, it's more of a annoyance that anything. Not sure if this is a symtom or a seperate problem, but after a crash, uTorrent takes forever to resume my interrupted downloads. It can take up to 20 mins, for it to evaluate the status of each torrent and finally start connecting to seeds and peers. I am running a Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz with 512 MB RAM. It has Windows XP Pro SP2 and I am using Zone Alarm Security Suite (latest version) I have the latest Java run time and am using a ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB Video Card. I have a Cable DSL connection and am using a Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem. I am using uTorrent v1.5. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

-=|Ouroboros|=-

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usermode programs cannot crash your computer, only broken drivers, hardware and kernelmode software (like firewalls) can. µTorrent falls under the usermode category.

Turn off automatic restarting in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup & Recovery, then write down the full error message.

OK...I turned off Auto Restart, but I never get error messages. The system either locks up and does nothing, or restarts...just restarts. No error messages, no warnings, just a black screen and then a re-boot. ???!!!???

Make sure you don't have anything listed under the Incompatible Software section of the FAQ... also... ZoneAlarm... tried uninstalling that?

No I haven't uninstalled ZoneAlarm. Some hacker must have my address memorized, 'cause the minute I have no internet security, my computer gets toons of viruses. And no...I have none currently. I do a virus scan and several ad/spy/mal-ware scans on a weekly basis. Also, I have checked the Incompatable software list, but I don't remember anything on the list that I am currently running. But Ima go check again right now.

[Don't double post, and don't quote the post directly before yours.]

Thing is....it never happens unless uTorrent is running. I've tested this hypothesis out thouroghly. That's why I'm so stumped. You say that it can't be uTorrent causing the crashes, and I take your word for it, however it only ever crashes when uTorrent is running, and there is a noticable drag on my system while it runs as well, at least for the first 30 mins, as I explained above. Plus, I have two big fans that run and the power supply is new.

I'm experiencing the same problems. Whenever uTorrent is running, my computer will often hard lock, or sometime get a BSOD. It doesn't happen when uT is not running. Games and other programs do not do this.

For instance, I set a torrent for download last night, and when I woke up this morning I discovered the computer had hard locked just after I left it. I tried using only the Windows built-in firewall, but it still happens. Just had a BSOD 5 minutes ago after starting another torrent for download.

Same problem here. µTorrent completely locks my PC up. In my case, I can contribute some additional info.

I'm sort of a freshman because I started out with µTorrent 1.5. I've read the FAQs and there are no incompabilities.

It worked well for some weeks and then I started to get these freezing issues. I looked into the event log and there's an interesting message from TCPIP (EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts). Of course, I've applied LvlLords patch (v 2.23d) and I've set the max. amount of half-open connections to 50 from which µTorrent is allowed to make 40. However, it doesn't work. Approx. 10 minutes after starting µTorrent, my PC locks up and after a reboot I got EventID 4226. Even resetting the values to their defaults doesn't help. :(

Kinda strange that it worked well for the weeks before. I neither changed any setting nor installed new software (well, I had some issues with Quicktime, thus, I installed a newer version of the Creative drivers and Quicktime Alternative).

JollyJoker said: "there's an interesting message from TCPIP (EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts). Of course, I've applied LvlLords patch"

Microsoft released a new patch probably that removed your settings change for half-open connections. You need to rerun the LvlLords patch.

I haven't installed that patch yet. I reckoned that something other than that had removed my settings from the tcpip.sys, so I applied the patch again but it said it's already patched. I decided to increase the limit to 55, just to be on the safe side. I still keep getting the same error which is obviously locking my computer.

Well, I'd really like to but I don't get any BSOD. It just freezes. I could supply you with the EventID and the source but I don't think that'd be very informative.

However, I'm on it and I changed the situation to "Disk overloaded". I've just increased the cache size and now I'm waiting for something to happen. I sincerely hope everythings back to normal now. I'll let you know if I've been successful. :)

I really like seeing it's your hardware not utorrent replies - well it is NOT. My machine keeps BSODing with an NTFSYS error you must be doing something to the disk drivers guys. My system keeps failing to write resume data - it also randomly runs out of memory and yes I am using the latest beta. I do not have any incompatible software. This only happens when I run uTorrent.

I have worked with software developers that balme everything but what they have written. I have NOD32 and adaware running on an uptodate XPSP2 system. The machine has big disks and 512MB ram and is a 600MHz PIII. Do I need a faster box?

I am going nuts and about to install a different client.

Any sensible suggestions?

So NOD32 WAS causing the BSOD?

I turned off NOD32 but did not unistall because of a lack of time. uTorrent has been up for more than 9 hours and is still going. I should report that I before I turned off NOD and the system crashed - I set the disk cache to manual and 64 Meg. I also have an error message cannot write resume data when I set a particular torrent downloading. The system CPU is up at 100% but the torrent is still coming down.

So I stopped what I think is the offending torrent and the system is still jammed at 100% cpu doing nothing. I have no active AV so what AV does utorrent like?

I will completely uninstall NOD and see what happens.

Cheers

Archived