Insist on "There is not enough space on disk"

rainigraf1

Great prog and for me as of 1.5 utorrent is feature complete except for one little thing.

If you download very large torrents composed of smaller files (tv series for example) the disk gets full and utorrent stops downloading because the prog couldnt create all files on disk.

Wouldnt it be great if utorrent would stop creating files on disk and continue to download the allready created files?

Hope my english is not that messed up :)

--

Raini Graf

First and foremost, I would like to apologize if I have misunderstood the definition of sparse files mode.

To my understanding, a scenario describing the question would be :

A new torrent that will not fit in the available hard disk space is queued. uT starts allocating files ( assuming neither sparse file nor pre-allocation modes ), and downloading pieces within these. At some point the free space limit is reached. At this point, you have (for instance) 1000 allocated but incomplete files, and 500 unallocated and incomplete files.

The suggested behavious is for uT to give a warning, but continue downloading the allocated files, instead of the current behaviour, which is to give an error and stop all downloading.

Sparse files mode would only allocate the pieces it downloads, leading to an undesired increase in fragmentation. The suggested method goes closer to the free space limit without the increase in fragmentation.

I would also like this suggested behaviour to be implemented. Again, please excuse me if I have misunderstood the issue discussed.

Thank you in advance for your efforts,

CyberNGA

I am somewhat of a noob when it comes to bittorrent terminology so i may be missing something regarding piece distribution.

What i know is that if my download stops (even if it could continue), i don't download anything so I can not seed and that is not right.

If my download is reserved on disk, utorrent should use the reserved file and continue.

--

Raini

Here's how to combat fragmentation: Buy another disk!

Have UT download to c:\torrents, and then move the files upon completion, to d:\torrents

or even just partition your main disk. so long as windows thinks it is moving from one drive letter to another, it will defragment the file as it copies. NTFS is very good at this. Infact, NTFS is very good at coping with fragmentation in general

Archived