Invisible window text

Macklegrey

Hi, I've got a problem whenever I run uTorrent and go into OPTIONS then PREFERENCES, the text is always blank... for example:

uTorrent_prefs.gif

But if I go to FILE then ADD TORRENT then click on CANCEL, then go back into PREFERENCES again, all the text appears correctly.

At the moment I think it's either a font problem or an ocx/dll file problem, but I'm sure it's not a fault with uTorrent as I have the same problem with a couple of other windows programs.

Can anyone think of reason for this to happen?

Cheers,

Mack.

Very odd, I've never seen that happen =o

Random guesses, but...

- Make sure you have Tahoma installed (from the looks of it, µTorrent is using Ms Sans Serif there)... While I'd expect this isn't the problem (as Windows should find a replacement font), check anyway

- Check the font smoothing settings in Windows Display settings?

The problem doesn't exist if you use the Windows XP theme, which I prefer not to use :-(

I notice that the official µTorrent installer doesn't come with any extra runtime libraries or controls (comctl32.*, etc) so maybe my default one isn't fully compatible - it seems odd that everything appears fine once the FileOpenDialog box is executed.

Maybe a full install package could fix this (i.e. include all dll's, ocx's, exe, etc), but for the forseeable future I'll stick to opening and cancelling the ADD NEW TORRENT dialog box whenever I need to change any preferences - luckily I only need to do this once after µTorrent is running.

Thanks for your responses.

Mack.

• 1 month later...

ok, maybe it's time to raise this issue to developers attention again

i absolutely hate the default XP appearance - sticking to the classic style instead - and so far i used a rather unexplainable workaround (kept the UPNP port mapping checkbox ticked :D ) to keep the preferences visible. now all of a sudden this stopped working with ver 1.5.1beta466.

I had a similar problem as Macklegrey, except only the 'free text' in the prefs and the dialogs would usually (but not always) fail to display. Fixed by going to Windows XP theme with default colors, then using the File > Add Torrent > Cancel trick (Thanks Macklegrey!).

Let me know if I should post a more detailed bug report.

I have the same TEXT missing problem.

I first installed the client Version 1.5, and when it firts run after installation a Question come up, and in there I can't see anything inside, just two or three answer box. I was a bit strange, since I didn't know which one I selected. It migth be some language setting since, my WinXP is Hungarian, but I prefere running apps in English. After it the V1.5 was running fine, I saw all the preferences text.

But now I update to V1.6 with the full installer, and I can't see the Preferences, like the others here (luckyly the trick is working). I use the windows Smooth option for my TFT, but disable it is not solve the preferences problem.

Hope that could be found a solution.

If need some test I will do it.

Thank you,

kobor

Since my last post on here I've re-installed Windows but still had the same problem, until now!

Previously I'd only downloaded the standalone uTorrent.exe and used it as is. Today I did the following and now my preferences appear every time :D

1) Did the ADD TORRENT then CANCEL trick so I could see the text

2) in the GENERAL section even though my language was set to ENGLISH I clicked on the MORE button

3) that opened up the uTorrent download page in my web browser

4) I downloaded the full 1.6 installer program

5) Ran the installer, and chose to install to "C:\DOWNLOADS\TORRENTS" (which is where I kept the standalone uTorrent.exe from a previous version)

That was it... I ran uTorrent.exe from that folder and clicked on PREFERENCES ... and they appeared.

All I know is that this worked for me, I only did exactly what I wrote above and now it works fine.

I hope you guys find a way to get your text to appear too.

Regards,

Mack.

well this way.. the text appear.. but.. in some parts of the windows.. appears a black box¿? (for example, put the mouse pointer on separator of columns of information of torrent that downloading or file-add torrent.. the icons have a black bottom (dont know the right word, sorry)

or into the icon tray

anybody see that?

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/9030/utorrent167nx.jpg

(inferior part of the photo )

Hi,

I am new to utorrent. I 1st downloaded and installed the stand alone version. During the installation process itself, i was unable to see anything on the dialog boxes except the yes/no/cancel buttons. I do not know what I selected, but after that I did a full install for English language. After that install as soon as i started utorrent, I was unable to see anything on the dialog boxes. I just kept on pressing yes and made it run. But I am now unable to see anything in the preferences. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times without results though.

Also, this problem seems to go away after utorrent has been running for about 20-30 minutes, and the text magically appears.

I am using Win XP Pro (English) with classic version. I absolutely hate the Win XP original theme. I do not have any such problem with any other program installed on my laptop. Just to let you know though that my copy of windows is Genuine.

I understand that this problem has never been resolved. I'll appreciate it if moderators could either raise this issue to the developers or provide us a way to communicate directly with the developers so as to resolve this issue. It seems that increasingly more number of people are now having this problem.

To anyone who tries to help, thanks for your time and effort.

I also have this problem on my dad's pc, which uses the default 'teletubby style' windowsxp theme.

The dev doesn't have a clue what's causing it eh?

Why does he insist of closed source and only one person working on it?

Utorrent is...was great, I would love to have it working out of the box, I had to show my dad bittorrent with the default client, which works fine, but lacks the intuive interface Utorrent has and the download package is a whopping 5.6 MB large.

Strange thing is, I updated Utorrent from 1.5 to 1.6 at my own pc and it still works fine, what the heck went wrong?

Yes, I've seen the 'black box cursor' when trying to resize a column. But not always, and I'm not sure what the pattern is.

wow..i say that before... before it is solved alone..

now.. at start, i can see all text.. and when resize not see black box, and the icon tray appears right :)

i dont do anything.. so.. maybe tomorrow..be wrong again :)

will see :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just downloaded and installed uTorrent 1.6 (the 597kB installer version). XP Tellytubby style (it was configured by someone else and I just haven't gotten around to changing it, honest! :)). English OS, English install of uTorrent.

after installation a blank dialog with yes/no buttons popped up (chose 'no'), the first time the speed configuration dialog popped up it was blank, and once I've had a blank warning dialog (OK button). Every time I start uTorrent I get a blank dialog with yes/no/cancel buttons (having no idea what it says, I always pick cancel). I haven't noticed missing text in the preferences dialog yet, but the speed config. dialog is sometimes blank (doing 'add torrent' fixes).

I also have the black box instead of the column resize icon.

If any of you have multiple PCs and it only happens on one of them, can you find out the differences in software between them? Really, that's the only idea I have, to see if there's any software that's causing some kind of conflict.

Archived