Logo (56kers beware)

ludde

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But all the examples you're citing basically are icons :P Either way, I like the four-box Simple icon :)
ok good to know, not everyone chats one the IRC channel ;)

Anyway, I think that micro unit lett "µ" + green color is kind of a logo by it-self,

its like azureus' blue spotted frog and winamps lightning strike ;)

What I'm trying to point out is that, we don't necessarily need a µ in a circle, or square. Lose the µ even. For example, I remember azureus used this purple box with an A in it in the old versions, they have now migrated to somewhat more of a "brand"- the blue spotted frog. Like Firefox doesn't USE a F in a orange circle. Nor does Winamp use a W in a square.

I know its not my place to say, but I have to admit I cannot understand some peoples' tastes here in icons/logos. Get past the whole "Utorrent is simple, so we need the simplest, blandest representation for this software." It doesnt have to be like that. I'm working on some creative stuff right now...so ludde, please stand by.

I'll like to see what you come up with, you're very talented.

What I'm trying to point out is that, we don't necessarily need a µ in a circle, or square. Lose the µ even. For example, I remember azureus used this purple box with an A in it in the old versions, they have now migrated to somewhat more of a "brand"- the blue spotted frog. Like Firefox doesn't USE a F in a orange circle. Nor does Winamp use a W in a square.

One of the earlier Firefox logos (IIRC in the late "Firebird" days) was in fact a shiny F against a globe :P

firebirdlogo1283td.png

Besides, the name "Firefox" very readily lends itself to imagery. µTorrent mostly just gives you smallness, simplicity, and the µ symbol to work with.

I guess you're asking people to create totally new imagery, like Azureus did with the poison dart frog (gosh knows where that came from... looks nice though). Ok, fair enough a suggestion :)

Besides, the name "Firefox" very readily lends itself to imagery. µTorrent mostly just gives you smallness, simplicity, and the µ symbol to work with.

Yep, Firefox had it easy. But "smallness, simplicity, and the µ symbol" doesn't retrict you to µ's in green shapes. Btw, I remember something that ludde said on IRC yesterday, something about a green cat, and how it reflects the nature of µTorrent.

I guess you're asking people to create totally new imagery, like Azureus did with the poison dart frog (gosh knows where that came from... looks nice though). Ok, fair enough a suggestion :)

So it's a poison dart frog. :P And yeah, "imagery". Please.

SmallFootprint logo v4 =

The tough thing is that along the way I made v4, I forgot to make an green versiom :P

v4 isn't like the one before where the measurements where simple, but costumized and complexed.

Which mean I need to remake the whole logo if I want make a green versuin :(

Anyway, here is the black version anyway ;) =

usmallfootprint82lb.png

OT, but the scientific name for the poison dart frog is Dendrobates azureus, and as far as I know that's where the name for the program came from.

OT, but the scientific name for the poison dart frog is Dendrobates azureus, and as far as I know that's where the name for the program came from.

Ahh, that would explain it :) OTOH, this leaves µTorrent with... the µ :P

Well let's think... we could have other ideas built on the word "micro", such as microwave, microscope, microprocessor... and stuff!

Along this line of thought, since "micro" means pretty darn small, how about going to the molecular/atomic level and using something along the lines of the most basic element? The general symbol for the hydrogen atom (however technically inacurate it is) is a big ball with a little one whizzing around it. This basic symbol also generally looks like a planet being orbited by a moon, much like our own, which is also what bittorrent clients do..... connect people together over the whole planet who have something to share. The same symbol could show both the compactness of our favorite client and it's basic world wide functionality. I'm sure a µ could be added to it somewhere.

Unfortunately, being the most non-artistic person in the universe (those that would admit to knowing me personally would probably say I was more autistic) I have absolutely no idea how one logo/icon could convey both messages. I just had the idea and thought i'd throw it in the ring.

Well let's think... we could have other ideas built on the word "micro"' date=' such as microwave, microscope, microprocessor... and stuff![/quote']

Along this line of thought, since "micro" means pretty darn small, how about going to the molecular/atomic level and using something along the lines of the most basic element? The general symbol for the hydrogen atom (however technically inacurate it is) is a big ball with a little one whizzing around it. This basic symbol also generally looks like a planet being orbited by a moon, much like our own, which is also what bittorrent clients do..... connect people together over the whole planet who have something to share. The same symbol could show both the compactness of our favorite client and it's basic world wide functionality. I'm sure a µ could be added to it somewhere.

Unfortunately, being the most non-artistic person in the universe (those that would admit to knowing me personally would probably say I was more autistic) I have absolutely no idea how one logo/icon could convey both messages. I just had the idea and thought i'd throw it in the ring.

the whole atom/molecule has been used several times befoure, check out the p2p program DC++ ;)

Anyway, today I will try to improve my idea even more + create and green version ;)

I really like Boo's idea. It references the small footprint plus it's sorta stealthy and demonstrates a sense of humor. I thought two prints might sell the concept better:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~rickn/%b5logo.png

two footprints besides each other is kind of nice, but its generally to bug I think :P

Archived