nat error

EGL22

hi all,

i have just switched to utorrent from another client because i heard great things about utorrent.

i had no problems with the other but they are being blocked by some trackers now.

i have started to download and have gotten a nat error which confuses me as the other client worked without errors.

i use cable with win xp and my norton firewall is fine and accepting all utorrents.

my speed is down-380 and up 100 and i use internet explorer thru rogers cable in canada.

i have a modem that is a motorola sb5100 which i am pretty sure will not use port forwarding.

since all my stuff looks set up right and the other client i used worked fine i am at a loss as to why i get the nat error and of course it is killing my speeds.

i did run the test and failed and read all i could find about nat errors but saw nothing like my problem.

any ideas or is this one in the twilight zone.

Did you configure the firewall to allow µTorrent to connect to the port specified in the options (not just allow it to connect to the internet)?

Also, your last client might have had packet header encryption (it sounds like you were using BC, based on the fact that your last client is getting banned). Lastly, I have to say, from reading other people's grievances with Rogers in the forum, it seems that your ISP might suck xD

well to be truthful i have never messed with the norton firewall options,too chicken to screw something up.

that may mean it could be the problem and i have no idea how to make the adjustment.

norton just plain scares me and i did not see any clear ways in the index to tell me what to do so unless someone knows step by step i will have to live with this or change back to the other guy,yes,bit comet.

and yes rogers sucks bigtime but we do not have many choices so we are stuck with it,for now.

Heh, Firon, you have to remind these people to reinstall some kind of security software, especially with the state of the internet nowadays xD

@EGL22: If you plan on using another firewall, you can use ZoneAlarm 6.x. It works perfectly well for me. If you do decide to try ZoneAlarm, I can help you configure it to allow µTorrent to connect (it's very easy, actually...).

Most of these people are behind routers, that's good enough. >.>

I use NOTHING and I'm fine, as do others here, proof you don't need it, unless you're running a server XP

I would suggest it but I think they all suck and cause problems, so I don't suggest any except the Windows Firewall when properly configured. :P

But anyway ZA 6.x appears to be working fine with µT so go ahead and try that. Kerio blows, Outpost BSODs, NV's firewall leaks memory out the ass, who knows what else works like crap. :P

Unfortunately, a lot of people are not as technically knowledgeable as you =P

Aside from that, though, those high profile worms that prompted the creation of the XP SP2 we know today could have been prevented from propogating so widely if people used a firewall (I think).

I remember there was a worm that specifically targetted a vulnerability in a couple versions of Zone Alarm firewall (about v3...quite some time ago.) If you were running the firewall the worm could auto-infect your computer. If you weren't, it might use another security hole to get in. But if you have a different firewall or router, it wouldn't be able to connect to your computer to infect it.

Firewalls aren't the be-all, end-all. And adding more constantly-running software to a computer certainly doesn't make it faster. That's why I agree with Firon that being behind a router is generally best.

Btw, a truely "dumb" computer connected directly to the internet is uninfectable. It's only beacuse of security holes in the OS or apps we're running that we're vulnerable to viruses and worms at all. Many of the security holes are well-know to Microsoft...but they won't remove a few of the security holes because they call them "features".

@bound2please: lol I feel so important now xD

I have ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v6.x, so I'll give instructions for that version... you need to have a non-free version to follow these instructions, as I haven't used the free one in the longest time, and the last time I remember, it didn't have the Expert tab in some places.

1) Open up ZoneAlarm

2) Go to the Firewall > Main tab

3) Under Internet Zone Security, click the Custom button

4) Under the Internet Zone tab, check the Allow incoming UDP ports, Allow outgoing UDP ports, Allow incoming TCP ports, and Allow outgoing TCP ports. In each one, specify the port number you're trying to open up

5) Click OK

6) Go to the Firewall > Expert tab

7) Click 'Add'

8) Give the rule a name (preferably one with the port number you're trying to open in it, for easier identification)

10) Under the Protocol section, click Modify > Add Protocol > Add Protocol

11) For protocol, select TCP & UDP

12) Give it a description (I guess you can put a name with the port number again if you want =P)

13) For Destination Port, make it Other (if it isn't already), and set the number to the right as the port you're trying to allow connection to.

14) Leave the source part alone (Other, Any)

15) Click OK to everything, and when you're back to the main GUI, click the Apply button.

I'm not sure if this will help, but I've always set my ZoneAlarm up in this way when I reinstall my computer, and I've never had any hiccups with BitTorrent.

Thanks for the post, Ultima. Go ahead and take your bow now

lol I feel so important now xD

Your instructions worked like a text book - perfect. ty. :) You could make the instructions 100% by adding to click on 'apply' at the end he he

I do have a question tho. What ports do I allow? Almost every peer has a different port! :/

I allowed the two ports thatt one torrent was using and stopped the others but still have the nat error. is this expected? i'll do the modem/router thing mentioned by 1c3d0g next.

No, you only allow the port that µTorrent uses

That makes more sense... and so far I do not have a NAT ERROR.... :) and i have not done the router redirection yet {not sure of myself in that area.] although i don't have a good speed [ 56kb/s up and 25 kb/s down]

:( Yes I have egg on my face and you get to take another bow.... I got anxious and did not finish reading your instructions.. for which i thank you for. my appologies. the last step was in deed to click apply.

56 up and 25 down???

I would consider that fast. I have been chasing my NAT error all around, and have yet to cure it. I turned off all firewalls (Router,wireless hub, and windows). I made sure my connection settings are per the FAQ numbers, and still have the NAT error.

Ultima, what next?

I have WXP/Belkin wireless hub/Westell DSL router.

thx in advance.

my speed is down-380 and up 100 and i use internet explorer thru rogers cable in canada.

Sorry, I overlooked 1 CRITICAL detail!

You're on an ISP that has been rolling out BitTorrent blocking and throttling everywhere. That alone may explain your problem.

I've heard that their VoIP ip port of 1720 will allow BitTorrent traffic if you use it. It might even solve your NAT error problem (though I doubt it) -- if your ISP is firewalling your ip ports from incomming access.

Chances are, you need to get a newer firmware update for your cablemodem -- if one's even available. I'm sure if it contains a router that there's some way to port-forward it. Or barring that, to just turn off the router altogether.

• 3 months later...

Um, i have the free ver. of ZoneAlarm. Since it doesn't have Expert tabs for Program Control, is leaving it with server access (both Trusted & Internet) ok?

I have a router, so maybe it doesn't affect me much but i'm really curious about this. (Just in case i decided to junk my router.)

Eh free ZoneAlarm kinda... sucks... I doubt it'll be fine, as I found I had to add expert settings for my speeds to actually climb to an acceptable level, even though things were working "fine" superficially (green light, port forwarding OK, etc).

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A little query with the above ZA instructions. I've noticed that you've set, in the expert tab, to allow all incomming UDP and TCP packets to the utorrent port on your computer. Is there any reason why you did not set a rule underneath that one that allowed the same, but outgoing packets FROM that port too?

Archived