New Website Design Feedback Thread

Firon

As the topic says, we've got a new website design up for testing! http://test.utorrent.com

This will eventually replace the current site design. The forums are still the same, just with a new default style.

Please test it and let us know what you think here, as well as any bugs you happen to come across.

You can login with the same username/password as here, but as the database is not synced, only usernames created before 2 days ago will work. All new posts on the test forums will not be kept when the new design goes into production.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if anyone has checked out the new forums using Internet Explorer 8 (as in Windows 7), but I am seeing some 'running together' of colums containing the Topics, Posts and Last Post info, on the summary page.

These are all displaying fine in the current forums though.

@ moogly, re: flags next to the language selector - its hard to choose the right flag for English (Stars & Stripes or Union Jack), Spanish (ES / MX / AR / CO / CL / etc.) - we started out by having a flag in the design but took it out to reduce complexity in the decision of which flag to show;

re: the meebo crowd-sourced translations - we're really interested in moving this direction in future, although we wanted to bootstrap the system with a few good translations so we haven't opened this up yet for website translations

• 2 weeks later...

well, I personally think that when viewing the forum the main page navigater and footer shouldn't be visible,

because they don't match some forum themes (because of styling and colors).

Another thing, I don't like the fact that the font size is smaller :(

Also, on the mainpage there is to much "white space", needs more styling and colors.

btw, the theme I use for the forum is 'Cobalt'.

Random observations:

- Forum posts need separators between the post body and the post signature.

- More than just spacing between sentences, whitespace in general feels overused all over the place. Way too much padding for HTML elements in each forum post, for example.

- The toolbar at the top of every page feels disconnected from the rest of the page. Like, there's a rounded toolbar on top, and then there's a rounded page title thingamajig. (see this if you're not sure what I'm referring to -- green thing being toolbar, blue thing being title thingamajig). It feels like the "toolbar" can be better integrated with the rest of the page, especially considering the fact that it's exactly as wide as the page contents.

- The id="brdwelcome" div (which contains the extremely useful "Show new posts since last visit" link, among other things) is hidden behind the id="announce" div.

- There is no differentiation between threads with new posts and threads without. That is, forum thread links used to be bolded for threads with new posts, and regular (unbolded) for threads without. Now, all thread links are bolded, which makes it a huge pain to browse.

- The skins page needs the ability to sort by date (newest first, or whatever) (forgot that we already mentioned it above xD)

- See the FAQ's General section. See the 9th link in the table of contents ("Is it possible to make µTorrent load a torrent from the commandline?")? It links to a different question ("How can I make µTorrent auto-load torrents from a specified folder?")

I am unable to login with Firefox under WinXP SP3 (everything is fine under Vista though). I've turned off any ads/script blockers - still no luck... Moreover, under XP site show me russian header, but with Vista it is still shown in english... Also I recieve 404's periodically rarely. Upd: got one - was unable to post this.

BTW, will this forum ever have 'show unread' not only on top level?

Love the new main site.. however the forum default theme is a little oversized making it harder to navigate the forums. Any chance that could be fixed? Making everything below the header about 80% of how large it is now would make it so much easier to read/use.

@SimonMorris: I understand your 'issue' but for the beginning, maybe you can add traditional flags: British flags for English-speaking users, French flag for French-speaking users etc as other websites do it.

Yes a translation wiki will be great, anyway it's always hard to control how people translate tthe text. :/

The forum skin is not colour-blind friendly at all.

Whilst scrolling all I see are the dark coloured bars with the date that post was made - it's very irritating on the eye. Perhaps this could be solved by some a darker/contrasted uTorrent theme? Selecting another theme at the moment breaks the entire site design :(.

Otherwise it looks great :)

Archived