µTorrent 2.0.3 released

Firon

It seems that since "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent" doesn't have an effect unless "Always show dialog on manual add", the Preferences should say something about it, or it should be fixed so that it does something without the other option being toggled.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dread, stop reposting that crap and read the thread.

Astrophizz:

"It seems that since "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent" doesn't have an effect unless "Always show dialog on manual add", the Preferences should say something about it, or it should be fixed so that it does something without the other option being toggled."

You should take your own advice.

(Im talking about your forum signature.)

Actually, "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent" is sufficient. I don't have "Always show dialog on manual add" checked and it still shows the window that displays the files inside the torrent. But, this is because I don't have "Put new downloads in:" checked. I don't use a default directory, I just let it remember the last used directory.

"Always show dialog on manual add" used to be grayed out unless "Put new downloads in:" was checked...I don't know why they decided to change that.

35irxi1.png

DreadWingKnight wrote:

DreadWingKnight wrote:

And what about the state of the "Always show dialog on manual add" setting?

OK, so maybe I'm a bit stoopid on this one but why should I need both options checked? If I have a default directory for downloads and just want to pick certain files, why do I need the "Always show dialog" for directory checked as well?

AND according to Ultima in the following post (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=447698#p447698), unless I'm reading it wrong, the default behavior was the opposite of what it is now. What was the reasoning behind the change?

And what about the state of the "Always show dialog on manual add" setting?

It took me 2 minutes to find this option even if I use uTorrent for 2 years...

What is the meaning to have two very closly named options in two settings tabs?..

PS: The option says: When adding torrents show that window... Why doesn't it do so?.. That's problem - inconsistence between expectancy and fact...

Ok, i fixed it.

I knew I should have checked the both options:

"Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent" and

"Always show dialog on manual add", but the second one was "hard" to find :).

For all, "Always show dialog on manual add" option is located in Preferences > Directories .

I'll also repeat myself:

B. This is surely a GUI design-flaw - having to set two different controls and in two difference dialogs this simple/simple functionality. They better change it, and the sooner - the better

And in simpler words - it's a fucked up UI design :P

- Change: Don't show add torrent dialog by default.

(Option: Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent)

What is the reason for this change? Do you think it is good idea to automatically put new download to "undefined" folder (Documents\Downloads) instead of ask user by default?

emc: it's not undefined, it's DEFINED in directories->put new downloads in...

I work like this for years... + RSS pre-defines it's paths as well...

Personally I couldn't care less what the default is. every user can set it to whatever he likes. I do care about people that used to do it in a certain way - not being modified by the upgrade. If this is so - this should be fixed.

rafi: I know that µTorrent has lots of options. Advanced users can tune up µTorrent in Preferences. Why ask beginners to do the same? I think the default must be 100% functional for beginners (who have no defined folders nor other options). Option: "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent" is one of think which make easy to use µTorrent.

Most users don't care about setting directories. Firefox and other browsers go to My Documents\downloads by default. Now we're using the 'Downloads' special folder too, like a lot of other apps.

So you can configure it if you care, or use the new default. Most people don't actually give a crap. :P

As I see it, Firon, the problem is that people that had the previous default, now have a changed behavior. Unless you want to educate everyone to using this new behavior cause you think it's better, why not just FORCE the old default ONCE upon upgrade (yes, modify the settings file), just to avoid the issue ? or at least instruct about it in an pop-up upon upgrade ?

It's one of the worst UI design I've seen, that you now tackle all users with. It'd be better for all if the devs change it :P

Archived