Proxy/Utorrent Issue

Lost_One

Ok, so i just recently purchased a VPN (Private Internet Access). I setup the SOCKS5 proxy according to the VPNs website. Since then when i attempt to download a torrent it will not download. All the udp trackers timeout, [Peer Exchange] and [Local Peer Discovery] both say working and [DHT] says "waiting for announce..." I am not randomizing the port on launch and i do not have UPnP or NAT-PMP enabled (although I tried with them enabled as well). Prior to the VPN and proxy i had no issues downloading any files. I am using a MacBook Pro using Utorrent version 1.8.4.Could anyone who uses utorrent with this VPN and/or proxy please help with this issue, i would be really greatful for any/all help. Thank You.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This seems to be a problem with the most common UDP trackers.  See this forum post on No Incoming Connections.   Some HTTP trackers work, like mvgroup.org.   My IP address is being properly cloaked by the proxy server.

Torrents work fine for me until I enable the SOCKS5 proxy, and I've tried several different VPN providers with identical results.   Strangely, it was working fine a couple of weeks ago and now kaput, even though I haven't changed anything.

I'm wondering if for some reason openbittorrent, publicbt, istole, et al are blocking the IP ranges of the more prominent VPNs?

Archived