utorrent cannot associate with .torrent files (Windows Vista)

Dominor

Greetings! I recently downloaded the latest version of utorrent (1.8) and found I was unable to associate utorrent with .torrent files. Specifically, I go to Options->Preferences->General->Associate with .torrent files and Associate with .btsearch files and click on them. However, they seem to have no effect, because if I return to that dialog, they're not greyed out and when restarting utorrent, it says "Would you like to make utorrent the default torrent application?"

This happens on Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 and as far as I know, I possess no incompatible apps with utorrent.

I also found that I was unable to associate the torrent files with utorrent through the Windows Vista GUI. What's more, the very torrent file type didn't seem to be registered within Vista. I even installed Vuze in order to see what would happen. The torrent files were correctly registered and associated, still I couldn't associate them with utorrent. After, removing Vuze all of this was undone, going back to the same situation. After realising happened in a greater scale with other file types in Vista, I used Creative Element Power Tools and managed to successfully create the torrent file type, register it and associate it with utorrent, withou having Vuze installed. Now I am finally able to open torrent files with utorrent automatically, but utorrent seems not to be aware of this association.

Funky. Can you get Process Monitor from sysinternals.com, log Registry key accesses for the µTorrent process, try reassociating the extension in µTorrent, stop/save and post the log here from Process Monitor? Upload to mediafire.com or savefile.com.

Archived