Force file re-check not working properly

austerus

Hello,

It seems that the Force re-check option is not working as it should under Mac.

What happened to me was this:

I had set the default download folder to a removable drive.

I started a torrent download.

When the torrent was about 12%, I turned off my PC for a while along with the removable drive.

When I started the PC back, the drive was still off so uTorrent correcntly complained that it couldn't find the folders anymore.

I exited uTorrent, started the drive, restarted uTorrent, set the default download folder to the right path and the clicked Force recheck on the torrent.

In the "general" tab, it said it was re-checking (first hint: for a 76Gb torrent, it did the re-check incredibly fast, like 15 seconds), however it didn't find the already downloaded content and the % was reset to 0. When I started the torrent, it started to download again from 0!!!!

The "done" bar says 0, although in the "general" tab it says I already downloaded a few Gb. However, those Gb can't be found anywhere, all the files in the torrent have 0 bytes done, 0%.

All the paths are right, all the files are where they are supposed to be, but the content already downloaded doesn't seem counted anymore.

Same thing sorta happened to me...was about 97% done when my eternal came unplugged- which had happened before but i was able to plug it back in and click start and continue the download. This time the download said to recheck, so I did and upon completion I clicked start again, and now it says 35 of 53.7 gb but started at zero and the folder on the external where its being downloaded to says its 53.78gb...did it restart the entire download, should i even bother continuing with the download??

Eventually I managed to solve the issue in the following manner:

- remove the torrent from the list (only the torrent, keep the files)

- download the torrent file again (I had deleted it once the download through uTorrent started)

- make sure the default download path points to the place where the old files are (if you have to make a change for that, make sure you close uTorrent normally and then open again)

- start the torrent

- before it starts downloading do a Force recheck (it took forever for my 76 Gb download but eventually it saw the old files)

- after it finishes the torrent will be stopped so start it

What I think it happens is that in uTorrent an existing torrent is completely tied to the Default Download Path set when it started, If that path becomes unavailable for any reason you have to remove and re-add it (even if the old path and the new one are the same), otherwise it won't see the old files. Also, in order for the path to be saved, you have to normally close uTorrent and reopen it. WHen I first set the Default Download Path to the proper location after the drive shut down, I force-closed uTorrent and when I opened it again, it still didn't see the proper path (it was greyed out)

I could not get uT to verify the files. I tried the above methods. I can do 'show in finder' and the files are there, but the verify fails.

I will reseed using Transmission which can move and verify files until uT can do it. I will DL with uT because it is better at that.

Archived