Does Seeding affect my upload ratio for other things on my PC?

LooseBoots

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I am very new to Utorrent and currently had 10 films seeding after being downloaded and 1 film downloading.

As the title says does seeding affect me uploading other things ( speedwise) and If it does is it possible to save films without seeding?

Sorry if this sounds stupid.

@ LooseBoots

µTorrent finished downloading, but now it says it's Seeding. What does that mean?

Seeding is where you leave your BitTorrent client open after you've finished your download to help distribute it (you distribute the file while downloading, but it's even more helpful if you continue to distribute the full file even after you have finished downloading). Chances are that most of the data you got was from seeds, so help give back to the community! It doesn't require much - µTorrent will continue seeding until the torrent is removed (right click the torrent, then hit Remove). Proper practice is to seed until the ratio of upload:download is at least 1.00.

Downloading a movie and then not seeding it, Is called Hit & Run. Some private torrent sites will ban you for this. Other public sites may let you get away with it once in awhile if your clients total ratio is good. (you can find your total ratio in utorrent under "Help", "Show Statistics".

But why would you want to do a hit & run. The only thing that keeps torrents running is seeding. The reason you can download fast is because others who have finished downloading continue to seed to at least a 1.00 ratio on each torrent. If that is not possible because there are no lechers, you should let your other torrents with more leechers run beyond a 1.00 to make up for the torrents that are having a hard time reaching 1.00. This will help your overall ratio in uTorrent Statistics.

After all we who use torrents are a sharing community. Without sharing the torrent system would fail. So sharing is probably the most important rule concerning the torrent system.

Read the Rules and FAQ's on various torrent sites for more Info.

It is my understaning some clients send your total ratio to public torrent sites, which in turn will slow down your download speed if it is less than1.00 or very poor, and speed up download rates for those with good ratios.

:) The main thing to remember, is relax and enjoy, and do what you know is best for the communiy.:)

Like I said before look around at the Rules & FAQ's. Lots of info there. Most are common sense.

Good Luck and Enjoy ;)

Archived