Magnet links and infohash...

Rizelmine

By now most should be familiar with magnet links, so this trick I'm about to part might come in handy (needs firefox)...

Magnet links open directly in the client. But what do you do if there isn't any, nor any .torrent to download? Well, try checking if you can find the infohash of it...

Research Word (ff addon, right-click/address bar search. Supports custom entries.)

Add magnet:?xt=urn:btih: as a custom entry in the settings of the above addon, name it magnet(or something else).

Afterwards, as long as you know the infohash (40-digit number) of a particular torrent, you can simply highlight it, rightclick, choose Research Word(s) with..., and magnet ,...

... and the magnet of the torrent will open in your client(provided your client is associated with magnet links).

Now, I know there are many out there who use Add To Seach Bar/Context Search combo instead. It essentially provides the same functionality as RS, albeit a lot better. (With RS you had some major source crawling/guesswork sometimes to figure out the search urls for the custom entries... ATSB/CS also works for text in textareas/prompts). I use the combo too.

The above trick 'should' work for it too, I think. But you'll need some know-how to build a custom .xml in the searchplugin folder. Which I unfortunately don't have...

Archived