Drag & drop torrents to explorer

flekstor

Moving files you have downloaded is a common thing I think but it's a bit complicated. You have to:

1. select the torrent(s) in the torrent list

2. stop it/them.

3. Move the files using the explorer

4. Set download location for each one (and every time I need to find the same folder I want to move them to)

5. Force Re-Check

6. and start it/them again if you want to continue seeding

What about implement a feature that makes it possible to drag an arbitrary number of torrents from the torrent list to a folder in the explorer in order to achive the same thing.

There may be a technical problem with this, µtorrent needs to know to which folder it's dragged to and I don't think it will get that info, it will just know whether it was a successfull drop or not. If µTorrent had it's own "explorer" built in it could deal with this but there may be other ways also.

Totally unintuitive, in my opinion, and the better request would probably be to allow moving of torrents (and not just references to them in µTorrent) by simply using the "Set download location..." thing, which has been requested before.

Yes move them using "Set download location..." would also be possible but not as fast, especially not if you can't do it for several torrents at the same time. Personally I also think drag & drop is more intuitive, that's how we interact with objects in ordinary life, grab and move them.

If it doesn't already do that (I'm not sure, as I don't use the feature at all), it could be made to work for multiple torrents. It's not difficult at all, and all it would take is iteration of that move function over the selected torrents, instead of just one.

i see 2 possible users for this:

1. those who are completely finished with a torrent and want to move the files to final location

2. those who want to change where the files are while the torrent is still live (such as trying to make room on a drive)

as i fall in group 1, it seems like an interesting idea but the other move files concepts already discussed are more than adequate. Just move everything to a 'finished' folder and then use explorer from there

however i can see how this would really be useful to people in group 2. I don't have anything against it per se, but if it would easier to do one of the 'move finished' concepts, i would REALLY REALLY like to have one of those versus nothing

for this, perhaps there needs to be a mode toggle so you don't go accidentally moving files you don't intend to

I've another request....

if a torrent is finished and you didnt select a group, it goes into the default dir.

But if you select a group after finishing, the torrent will not be moved into the group dir. If you could add this feature... :)

As trinop points out there are different reasons for a feature like this. Some of my reasons, if it interests anybody, is the following:

When I download a movie I would like it to be stored in my movie folder and I use the label feature for that. When I have looked (or unpacked it, if it's a rar file) I would like to move it to a saved_movie folder. I also download other stuff, for example SW, and I would like that to be stored on another disk but the label feature doesn't allow that. (perhaps you could set up links, I use it on unix but does it really work that well on XP?). So I move the data around every now and then...

I can only speak for my self but there may be altatnative ways to make me happy. If I for example could define paths for each label it would be better. At least if the data moves when I change the label (if everything is downloaded of course, otherwise I want it in my unfinshed dir).

• 4 months later...

As far as I know, drag & dropping from one app to another, only tells the receiving app something new. The source app (uTorrent in this case) won't know a thing what the receiving app (e.g. explorer) did with the data (maybe it deleted, copied, scrambled or ignored it), much less know where the files were moved (if they did). So this would be pretty much impossible to implement.

Archived