VPN and Firewall Issues

jealousmonk

I'm not sure I really have a problem but, since I started using a VPN, I am getting wildly varying download speeds. The icon in the right section of the status bar shows a yellow triangle with an exclamation point with a message "No incoming connections." When I click on it and run the tests, both the Bandwidth and Network tests fail with these results:

Bandwidth

Results: Speed test failed.

Network

Neither NAT-PMP nor UPnP is enabled. Please check your preferences.

I say I'm not sure I have a problem because my download speeds sometimes approach 1 MB/s which I consider very good. But the speeds go up and down dramatically and often are very slow (0-50 kB/s), even non-existent at times.

My VPN is Witopia and I am running Comodo free firewall. In Comodo, I created a network zone containing the internal IP addresses assigned to my computer while connected to Witopia (10.119.116.0 to 10.119.116.255). Then I created rules for uTorrent that limit incoming to only that zone and outgoing only from that zone.

In uTorrent, I have "Enable UPnP port mapping" and "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping" enabled. I have my "Port for incoming connections" set to 37197. In my router's settings, I have UPnP enabled and I have 37197 forwarded for my computer. However, the setting for forwarding that port is for my computer's fixed IP address (192.168.0.111) which is not one of the IP addresses assigned while connected to the Witopia VPN. I'm not sure if that is creating a problem and I know of no way to make that IP address static.

Any advice or suggestions (or clarifiying questions) are greatly appreciated.

Using VPN implies a bandwidth reduction, it's normal. And the speed can fluctuate due to the charge of the VPN servers.

Anyway are you sure your VPN providers allows p2p applications & traffic?

If yes, does it provide a service of remote port forwarding (RPF)?

https://blog.perfect-privacy.com/2009/06/30/perfect-privacy-remote-port-forwarding/

or http://www.tuvpn.com/secure-vpn.php/what-is-dynamic-rpf-%28remote-port-forwarding%29-and-why-is-it-so-relevant-and-useful/99?ln=en

Archived