Followed all guides, FAQs but still slow download

psycovirus

First and formost, I would like to thank anyone who tries to help me with my problem.

I've switched over from Azureus to uTorrent in hope of lesser resource hogging and faster speeds. However, it is not the case. My torrents, even though with lots of seeds, goes a maximum speed of 20kbps. Average speed for each torrent is around 3kbps and average for total 4 active torrents is 10+kbps.

I have,

-Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 5.1.2600

-6500kbps downloadload and 384 kbps upload cable connection

-Linksys WRT54Gv2 Router

-No software firewalls except Windows Firewall

I have done,

-followed through "Mini-guide to help all of you with your speed problems..." in forum

-updated my router firmware to DDWRT 3rd party firmware and followed uTorrent's FAQ on setting up command line.

-port forwarded my bitorrent port(49888) and the connection shows green in uTorrent

-used TCPOptimizer from Speed Guide

-set my upload speed to 35kbps and download to 768kbps (followed the Mini-guide)

-applied Event 4226 patch and set the uTorrent maximum half ports to 40

(Thx to the guide, my internet is alot faster as in respond :P )

Situation

-Upload at max, 35kbps all times.

-However, download only at average of 10kbps even if there's enough seeds connected.

-Tested on a fast torrent buttorrent goes only at 20 kbps max.

I've tried out everything in my knowledge yet the speed is still slow. I hope someone could help me with my problem.

I would also like to know how to set all my TCP/IP settings back to windows default so that I could set back all settings from start.

Thank you for your time,

psycovirus

I tested on Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) Desktop CD (698MB). I do not have any other security software except Windows Defender, Firewall and AVG Anti-Virus. I've enabled Protocol Encryption but the speed does not seem to have increased. My AVG Anti-Virus is not giving any problem with uTorrent.

I would like to know how to set back window's TCP/IP default settings without re-installing windows.

I believe the System Optimizer I installed last time must have caused this problem (Network Optimizing).

My last choice would be to reinstall windows.

Thx for ur help,

Psycovirus

Thank you for your time Ultima, I appreciate your help.

That repair could have been more troublesome. I found a patch at Speedguide.net(lower down the page) that would return my TCP settings to windows default settings. This saves me from the trouble of "repairing" Windows. All I did was to use it to patch my broken TCP settings to default.

From there, I followed through the Mini-guide and manage to reach good speeds of around 100 kbps. However, that was not optimal speeds. I found out that the TCP Optimizer from Speedguide.net had set my TCPReceiveWindows size too high (513920) for 6500Kbps optimal settings. I lowered it to half, or 256960 and with that settings, I managed to reach up to 380Kbps download on Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) Desktop CD (698MB) within 30 seconds. I am really happy with my speeds and uTorrents.

It took me a few days to configure but it was worth the effort :)

Psycovirus,

Thank you for your time Ultima, I appreciate your help.

That repair could have been more troublesome. I found a patch at Speedguide.net(lower down the page) that would return my TCP settings to windows default settings. This saves me from the trouble of "repairing" Windows. All I did was to use it to patch my broken TCP settings to default.

From there, I followed through the Mini-guide and manage to reach good speeds of around 100 kbps. However, that was not optimal speeds. I found out that the TCP Optimizer from Speedguide.net had set my TCPReceiveWindows size too high (513920) for 6500Kbps optimal settings. I lowered it to half, or 256960 and with that settings, I managed to reach up to 380Kbps download on Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) Desktop CD (698MB) within 30 seconds. I am really happy with my speeds and uTorrents.

It took me a few days to configure but it was worth the effort :)

Psycovirus,

Which mini guide you followed?

Archived