uTorrent crashes seconds after starting up every time

pyopyo

Hi,

Yesterday after I started a download for a movie from asiatorrents/avistaz, my client stopped working completely. It keeps crashing and/or not responding the second I start it up.
The movie only had 1 file, which was an .mkv. No comments on the download whether other people had this issue aswell, so I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or related.

[edit: I already went into users/appdata/roaming and I have deleted the torrent in question, but it didn't help]

I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro since about 2 weeks ago. I had downloaded a bunch of stuff and it has been running every second my PC is on without any trouble.
I have been using µTorrent version 3.4.2 (build 37754) [32-bit] for the past 4-6 years or something.
My ISP is Belgium's Belgacom/Proximus but I doubt this has anything to do with it.
I'm not using any VPN's/proxies/firewalls/BTGuard or anything similar and I'm using ESET NOD32. I tried to check the FAQ for the troubleshooting regarding this but the link is dead.

This is the popup I get when it crashes a few seconds after it starts: 

yPsmyQH.png

I uploaded the dumpfile here: http://www.megafileupload.com/vnP7/37754-utorrent.ec9e.dmp

I'd appreciate it a lot if anyone could help me out with this. Perhaps a reinstall would fix it, but I'd rather not do that because I'm seeding about 300 torrents and it will be a pain in the ass to locate them all manually again, so hopefully there's a way to fix this first.

I had similar problem, yesterday suddenly uTorrent 3.4.2 started to crash…

I tried to restore folder 'C:\...\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\' from my backup, but it didn't resolve the issue, so I guess it was something wrong with Windows10 itself and not with corrupted uTorrent's data files.

Eventually, I managed to fix this by installing newest 3.4.5 version of uTorrent.

Edit:

Just make copy of the folder 'C:\...\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\' just in case, and install new version. Your torrents will not be deleted.

I also have been using µTorrent version 3.4.2 (32-bit) for many years with absolutely no problems. Yesterday I started having the same issue (crash) as described in previous posts with the difference that I'm still on Windows7. So there is nothing wrong with Windows10 

I reinstalled same version of µTorrent couple of times until it started working again. And it worked for almost 24 hours. Then it started crashing again. Now I installed the latest version - µTorrent Stable(3.4.5 build 41865). So far it's not crashing but we'll see how long it will last

Launch player.JPG

It's really weird that it happens to be this specific version that suddenly has the same problem at the same time..
I installed version 2.2.1 and it seems to be working perfectly. It recognized all my current torrents and downloading goes without problems so far.

Hopefully it stays this way. Thanks for the help both of you. 

MARCH 2: Same thing started to happen as reported by previous users, completely out of the blue, on 2 different machine and OS!

Have been running uTorrent 3.4.2 build 34672 for months and months (like at least 8-10 months), no major problem, on a Win 7 64bit PC (workstation) and a Windows XP (home server). And then, last week, booth installation crashed as soon as I invoked the already running uTorrent from the task bar and BOOM, crash like the picture in first post!  Even more strange, I was NEVER able to restart 3.4.2 build 34672 on either machine without it crashing within 5 seconds, with the exact same picture as first post. I was only able to restart it once, with a new blank settings.dat! *BUT*, close uTorrent and then boom, crash again on restart, until a put a new blank settings.dat! Never saw something like that on 2 different PC in my entire life!

Strangely enough, on my Windows 7 rig, uTorrent version prior to 3.4.2 build 34672, installed in the same folder, works fine. Version 3.4.1 build 31395 for instance.

Unfortunately, EVERY version after 3.4.2 build 34672 , including 3.4.2 build 38913, 3.4.5 build 41865 and 3.4.6 Beta 41768 do not crash, ***BUT*** they *ALL* have a gigantic memory leak on my Windows 7 machine!!! Went to bed with 3.4.5 build 41865 running and wake up next morning with 98% memory utilization on a 16GB machine! Closed uTorrent, and memory availability immediately return to normal. Same thing happened with all other versions I tested! I can now only run 3.4.1 build 31395 with no crash AND no memory leak (I guess previous build would also work). Also now running 3.4.2 build 38913 on my XP machine it seems to be fine (no crash, no memory leak).  

Didn't update anything on the router or the network. No software or hardware update on XP server either. Very, very VERY strange...

NOTE: How is this even possible, to simultaneously make a program not working anymore, on multiple different PC, with different OS, without an external intervention? Like a backdoor in uTorrent or uTorrent having a built in self destruct clock? I'm running an anti-virus on both machine, Windows firewall up and running on both, the network router have an SPI firewall, and the server machine exclusively run uTorrent, no new software installed or ran in years on that server!

UPDATE March 8: Been running 3.4.1 build 31395 for 96 hours on the Win7 PC and no crash and no memory leak. Only the usual drawback of the 3.4.1 generation with a few temporary freezes here and there, but otherwise works perfectly fine.  The memory leak never occurred on the XP machine and after 96 hours, it runs 3.4.2 build 38913 without crashing.  It still amazes me that 3.4.2 build 34672 can not run anymore without immediately crashing for no apparent reason on both machine AND ***every*** version after  3.4.2 build 34672 have catastrophic memory leak on Windows 7!!!

On 3/9/2016 at 5:17 AM, Ramon Zarat said:

NOTE: How is this even possible, to simultaneously make a program not working anymore, on multiple different PC, with different OS, without an external intervention? Like a backdoor in uTorrent or uTorrent having a built in self destruct clock? I'm running an anti-virus on both machine, Windows firewall up and running on both, the network router have an SPI firewall, and the server machine exclusively run uTorrent, no new software installed or ran in years on that server!

UPDATE March 8: Been running 3.4.1 build 31395 for 96 hours on the Win7 PC and no crash and no memory leak. Only the usual drawback of the 3.4.1 generation with a few temporary freezes here and there, but otherwise works perfectly fine.  The memory leak never occurred on the XP machine and after 96 hours, it runs 3.4.2 build 38913 without crashing.  It still amazes me that 3.4.2 build 34672 can not run anymore without immediately crashing for no apparent reason on both machine AND ***every*** version after  3.4.2 build 34672 have catastrophic memory leak on Windows 7!!!

Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's because of something the devs did for whatever reason.
There's no way this is a coincidence that all of us experienced the exact same thing at the exact same time.

The old version I downloaded has been working perfectly and I hope it stays that way.
It's a lesson we should always remember: don't ever do updates because every dev is a sellout that fucks their shit up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived