High speeds to Low Speeds

MrBond

I'm new to uTorrent, just downloaded it a couple of days ago.

I've read the FAQ, the mini-guide at the top of this forum, and have done all the suggested steps in the mini-guide. I did all of this yesterday, and started to download a 15 GB torrent. I began to get incredable download speeds. My average speed was around 300 kB/s, and the highest speed I saw was around 500 kB/s. That was in the afternoon.

I came back to check up on the progress in the evening, and I had completed 80% of the torrent. However, it seemed to hang at 80% so when I looked, I saw speeds of 0.4 kB/s to 10 kB/s. I figured that I might have had a better seed during the afternoon than I did then, so today when I try to start downloading it, I get off to a good start, around 150 kB/s, and when I come back later, the speed is down again.

Since it was going so slow, and I had recieved most of the files completed. I decided to start over the torrent over for some reason and just check the files that I didn't recieve completely. And I was once again recieving high download speeds (700 kB/s) and then it suddenly stalled out again, this time at 70% completion.

I have a Linksys WRT54G v.2.02 router. I know that these routers cause problems, and I made the changes to fix the problems (framework, etc.), but I can't figure out why I was getting such good speeds, and now I'm not getting anything.

As of the time writing this my speed is 7.2 kB/s. It says

Seeds: 1 of 1 connected (2 in swarm)

Peers: 68 of 129 connected (40 in swarm).

Something else that I noticed is that sometimes my upload speed is way higher than my download speed when my download speed is low. Could this be a problem or is that normal? Another thing I have noticed is that there are alot of peers with a small u in the flags portion of the peers page. I noticed that this means that the Peer wants my client to upload, but my client doesn't want to (interested and choked). Is there a way to fix this?

Is it the seeds and the peers? What's going on? I would appreciate it if anyone could help me find a solution.

Thanks.

Since it was going so slow, and I had recieved most of the files completed. I decided to start over the torrent over for some reason and just check the files that I didn't recieve completely. And I was once again recieving high download speeds (700 kB/s) and then it suddenly stalled out again, this time at 70% completion.

The reason you are getting uber download speeds at first is because you haven't dled alot of the common files yet. Lots of seeds share the same crap, hence the speedy dls. As you dl more and more, the number of files you need gets reduced limiting the amount of data peers can give you.

Seeds: 1 of 1 connected (2 in swarm)

Peers: 68 of 129 connected (40 in swarm).

The leechers are raping the seeders, thats why everything is slow lol.

Something else that I noticed is that sometimes my upload speed is way higher than my download speed when my download speed is low. Could this be a problem or is that normal?

That happens sometimes, don't worry. If you have had download speeds upto 700 kB/s then it isn't a problem on your end.

Archived