uTorrent tries to load recover.dat and fails - freezing my whole PC

MiszCupids

Hi there,

This is the first problem I have had with uTorrent, it's been absolutely fantastic until this problem occured.

When I load it, it tells me "failed to load recover.dat" then my PC beeps once, and uTorrent loads, starts "checking" my current torrents (which are quiet large, 5 are 3-4GB) and it gets approx 15% through checking the first torrent and then freezes my entire computer.

Does anyone know what may be causing this at all? please help, I've been trying to get these torrents for a week <sighs>

Thank you kindly

Ultima - I'm pretty sure, I haven't ran anything to test it but the drive uTorrent is installed on is a couple of years old - the drive I save the torrents/trackers to is brand new. Is there someway I can check if that may be the problem?

I have just cancelled restore points and put my firewall on (i'd forgotten to put it up when my ex took our server away) - and I uninstalled uTorrent and re-installed it. The only other things I have done is install the entire Adobe CS2 suite yesterday and do its updates.

I've ran Registry Mechanic, Norton, ADAware SE and Search&Destroy... none of which have fixed the problem.

Please help!

Oh.. very sorry Ultima... I'm a bit too anxious for my own good. Sorry for posting so fast!

I'll see if I can find HDTune somewhere - but I'm lost without my torrent searches / program, so I'll have to try find a copy the old fashioned way, with google!

Sorry Ultima - didn't mean to - wasn't aware of that posting rule, only just signed up with the forum!

I added a link in my edit, but yeah, it would've come up as the first result in Google.

Edit: I hope you're not apologizing for asking after I edited my post, it's alright, since I probably edited it after you saw the message. Anyway, about the double-post, edit and merge the posts before a moderator has to come and do it for you.

Yep. I don't think HDTune does a very low-level check of the hard drive, so if it doesn't find anything wrong, you might still have to check using some other hard drive scanning tool, like SpinRite, or one of the tools in the Ultimate Boot CD. If you do get the Ultimate Boot CD, know that you have to burn it and boot it from CD drive after restarting your computer. And if you do use it, you might want to scan your computer's RAM as well.

Archived