Clueless needs help! What's a router....?

Trouble5

First of all, please excuse my ignorance. I really want to get uTorrent working! uTorrent is running very slowly, extremely slowly. Only 1 kB/s slow! The icon on the bottom is a red exclamation point. And on the speed guide screen, when I test my port it says that it is incorrect. Then I get referred to this site that has all of these router names on it and then I just get lost. What is a router? Do I even have one, is a router neccessary? Is a wireless modem the same? Because I'm pretty sure I have one of those.

When I crawl under the computer, I see three box-like things that may indeed be routers. They're labeled RCA, ARRIS and Belkin. The one called Belkin is the smallest and ARRIS is the largest. Is one of these the router?

Once I know what my router is, how do I get my Port number and get uTorrent up and running?! If you can help me, I will be forever in you debt!

-Scarlett

Ultima- I went on the site you said and it was a lot of help. Until I got stuck. I entered my network gateway thing into my web browser and then a screen came up that told me to enter in my username and password. I can't get it! I have windows xp. I tried admin/admin, my email and my password and even just left it blank. Eventually I got to a page that said "HTTP 401 - Unauthorized" Any ideas? Please help!

Oh and I don't think I'm wireless. Do I still have a router? Can I use uTorrent without one? Help!

Archived