Encryption and bandwidth throttling

liwitherspoon

I just wanted everyone to know that using full encrpytion in both directions does not stop Clearwire wireless ISP from throttling you. With Clearwire at home, I can only get upload speeds of about 3 to 4 KB p/s, and similar download speeds, but at a cafe in town that has free wireless, I can upload at a steady 55 KB p/s, and download at a steady 30 KB p/s or faster. I am hoping that the utorrent managers will see this message so that they will have this information.

Yeah it's known that some ISPs throttle even with encryption, but there isn't that can be done about it, AFAIK. They're probably detecting based on the fact that the connection is not on their whitelist (and thus they block/throttle), or the fact that it's generating a lot of connections and stuff (pattern).

Yes, both ISP's have similar bandwiths (I have tested both) and I do use full (forced) encrytion, and do not alow legacy connections. I use all the same settings for both networks. Clearwire is just severely throttled, so, if you want to use p2p, don't buy Clearnet. I would just also add that Clearnet was not throttled in the past; there is a second cafe in town that provides free Clearnet wireless: I used to be able to use p2p there, but now, p2p no longer works there - you can get the internet just fine, but no p2p. I have heard on the news that San Jose, CA is going to follow other cities, and build a free wireless network that you will be able to connect to from anywhere in town - I don't know if they will jam p2p.

Archived