In Uni Halls! How can i get shut of the yellow hazard sign?

cjwoot

Hi, ive just moved in to uni accommodation and all my p2p software has stopped connecting. The peers seem to be there its just i cant connect to them.

I have read through some of the posts here about port mapping and they all seem to be concerning the router (which i had before in my house), so i dont really know what to do.

In halls there is no router of my own just an ethernet plug which goes straight to my laptop. Its 2mbps. I think it may be a shared network in the halls as other peoples shared itunes appear now..

Any help would be really appreciated. Sorry that was a tad long winded, lol.

cheers,

char.

Thanks for your help. Yeh, i think youre right, ive tried everything i can think of. Do you know if theres any other torrent or p2p software i could maybe use? Because i read in one of the guides that msn messenger can sometimes be affected, but msn works for me.

char.

you might want to see if anyone has set up an internal fileshare network - however, this might not be a torrent based system*. Ask around (a good way would be to go to a computer or roleplaying society, even just once**) and find out. I remember at my last uni the internet connections were alloted on a hierarchial system of importance based around regularity - there were about 9 levels, and P2P was not on any of them (took me 3 hours to download one song); however, someone had set up an internal system, and transfer speeds were never less than around 10Mbps.

*e.g. DC++

**my apologies if this is understood as stereotyping!

"**my apologies if this is understood as stereotyping!" lol

Ok thanks people, ive not had any joy really so im gonna ask around halls n see if anyone does run these internal networks like you suggested. I tried mIRC briefly and i was able to connect, just seemed a tad tedious.

Probably best off goin home for the day to do my downloading!

Thanks again for your help.

char.

Archived