Torrent List disappeared

utorrentfan

Hi

"Today ,while uTorrent was running Windows XP crashed and i had to reboot.After reboot,all the torrents list in utorrent were gone.It was plain blank, with statistics reading 0 for upload,download etc."

----

Iam using uTorrent 1.6 ;128 Kbps up/down internet ; AVG Antivirus ;Win XP SP2 .

----

I understand that this problem has been noticed in earlier versions.

I did do a search in the forum and found some partial solutions.

However,I would still like to report the problem.

I have been using utorrent for over a year and i have not had any problems.So its not a setup issue.Since I was only seeding some files and not downloading,I could seed again by loading the torrent files from %AppData%\uTorrent folder.My downloaded files have been left intact.

As i don't have partially downloaded files this isn't a problem.

But I would like to know why this happened,whether there is any fix for this (i.e get the full original torrent list with ratios etc back), and how to avoid this from happening again.

Thanks.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15286

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15373

From the first thread, it's clear that there is nothing you can do about it if µTorrent can't exit cleanly. From the second thread, it's clear that the thing you should be more worried about is whatever is causing the crashes in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

I have saved it manually many times.

But replacing it is always a problem, no matter if I replace it, and reload uTorrent, the list is still blank.

Apparently there is some method where if you shutdown uTorrent and copy in the resume.dat file (the working one) very quickly it works, but I can't seem to get it done quick enough, I've tried about 100 times now.

Anyone know any other methods of replacing a blank resume.dat if you actually have the proper backup file of it which contains all the correct information?

I just can't get it working :(

Ok, let me rephrase Ultima.

I have a backup copy of my old resume.dat file before it got corrupted due to a system crash.

I can paste it into my %appdata%/uTorrent directory and that is no problem. Let's say the file is 10KB in size.

I startup uTorrent, it shows a blank list.

I exit uTorrent, and it completely disappears, as well as out of the Task Manager.

On looking at the resume.dat file in %appdata%/uTorrent , it has now been replaced with a blank file of 2 bytes in size.

What am I doing wrong?

Then I don't know what to say to that. I just tried 5 times (literally) and each time, µTorrent's torrent jobs list went from blank to filled (correctly) upon deletion/restoration, respectively.

My exact steps:

1. Make a backup of a reportedly-working resume.dat (you've already performed this)

2. Delete resume.dat and resume.dat.old from %appdata%\uTorrent

3. Start µTorrent -- the list should be blank

4. Exit µTorrent, allow it to exit entirely from memory (no entry in the task manager)

5. Copy the backup of resume.dat into %appdata%\uTorrent

6. Start µTorrent -- the list should be restored

In my case, I repeated steps 2-6 five times, just to be sure.

I really don't understand this and why it's not working, although I noticed and have spoken to others that also have this problem.

Are there any Settings I might be missing or something in my Windows settings that may be affecting this?

I couldn't see it being Windows though, something tells me its something in uTorrent.

I'm using uTorrent 1.6 build 474 by the way in case that makes any difference.

Really would love this to be resolved as it's so frustrating having to start again from scratch.

Archived