Announcements

PhilA

"Announcement

This forum is NOT for help with anything you've downloaded!

Posting about any illegal sharing of copyrighted content is strictly FORBIDDEN."

I understand the human instinct to "suck up", but really, I would have worded your announcement a little differently. I mean, who's to say what we're sharing is illegal anyway? I understand laws are open to interpretation still, and vary widely between countries and provinces.

Are you saying you are not responsible for aiding and abetting this activity? Of course you are responsible, but many of us don't call file sharing illegal anyhow, nor regard possible copyright infringement as a crime.

Most of us still believe in fair use, and the freedom to share what we have with others if we choose. That is giving, not stealing. And in fact we are only giving away tiny parts of files. Can't be any worse than recording from TV or radio, which isn't illegal.

If the call (law) is unclear, who will pay attention to it? No-one. Even if it should become clear, it is only due to unscrupulous self-interest groups. Even so, I want to see it in black and white before I even consider it. Many others are not so considered, but I don't want to start an unwanted topic here.

Who said you guys are downloading illegal content? Since when did simply saying that there's no discussion about it mean we're implying that everyone is downloading illegal content? Or do you think the first line leads into the second line? If you thought so, then let me be the first to tell you that it certainly does not. If it did, then the lines wouldn't be separated by a break, and could easily have been simplified to a single sentence.

How are we responsible for aiding people to break copyright laws? Because you think µTorrent is solely used for copyright infringement? If so, then you can go say the same thing about Microsoft, Mozilla, or Opera. Hey, they make browsers that can do the same thing.

How are we sucking up, and to whom are we sucking up? Why should the support forum for a BitTorrent client be a place to discuss content, be it legal or illegal? Since when did sticking to the purpose of a forum become sucking up? Sure, plenty of people believe in fair use and whatnot, but is this support forum for a BitTorrent client here to discuss fair use and how one would go about practicing it? No.

All of that aside, we just aren't interested in discussing content, or allowing this board to be used for that purpose, period. What policies we decide for the forum is not up for question here, unfortunately. Yes, sounds almost like a dictatorship, but hey, this is an internet forum, not some democratic entity ;o

You are implying that file sharing is illegal generally, as nearly everything is copyrighted. All I am saying is that the whole concept is ok with me, but you feel the need to make such statements to curry favour with file sharing watchdogs. I wouldn't give them the time of day. And I made a general statement, not accusing you of being anti-p2p.

As far as not discussing downloaded files, that's fine by moi. Don't care to either :)

Neither do I wish to further discuss the morality of file sharing. That's been done to death. Shouldn't have brought it up ;-]

Again, I don't see where the announcement implies anything. We simply tell people that we don't discuss downloaded content, and make extra clear that we don't discuss illegal content. As I said in my previous post, they're separate, and the first line does not lead into the second line.

Know what the first line is for? For everyone who asks about how to install something they downloaded with µTorrent. For people who ask how to open/view/run a file. For people who ask about why what they've downloaded isn't working. The meaning of the second line is already self-evident, so I'm sure I don't need to explain it to you, but that clearly has absolutely NOTHING to do with the purpose of the first line.

Because you think µTorrent is solely used for copyright infringement?

If this question I asked earlier shows anything, it shows that I do NOT think file sharing is solely used for copyright infringement (notice the emphasis?). To me, this sounds like a case of you misunderstanding us, and NOT a case of us implying anything, or holding a pessimistic view on P2P.

ok I understand that the two lines are mutually exclusive, but I take exception with the term "illegal sharing of copyrighted content". As I said previously, who is to say what is illegal to share? Who is to judge? You say, the meaning of the first sentence is to not discuss anything downloaded, such as, how to open files. Fair enuf. Yet you then mention "illegal sharing of copyrighted content"; so you are saying that it's illegal to share anything copyrighted. If you believe that, ok; but I don't; and as we know, it's not illegal in many countries at all.

It doesn't say sharing of copyright content is illegal. It says the illegal sharing of copyright content. There is a difference. Regardless, many/most/all of the people making/enforcing the rules here do live in countries where sharing copyright content is illegal. The server that the website is hosted on is located in the US. Not that that's necessarily our justification for the rules (as I stated before, we just aren't interested in turning this forum into some kind of a warez trading board), but those are just some things to consider.

If it makes you happier, the word "illegal" can be removed, but that amounts to nothing in terms of how we interpret and enforce the policy.

Yes I know there's a difference, and I understand your reasons. I just hate pandering to these 'watchdogs', and it appeared that way at first glance. So, sorry if I misunderstood.

Don't change it on my account. I'm nobody; and don't want to make your legal situation any more difficult than it is.

Archived