typical highest speed

jc174

Sorry if this is too much of a newbie question...

I just want to get an idea of the actual speeds other people are getting when they are downloading files via torrents. I have Cox Premiere cable, which is 12Mbps down and 1Mbps up. When I download the Open Office torrent (per Ultima's sticky post), I get wonderfully high speeds. However, when I download torrents from sites like torrentspy or mininova, the best down speed I get is around 250 kBps (though I average probably 100kBps or less). This is with torrents that have more than 1000 seeds and leechers. I believe I have optimized the Speed Guide correctly.

I'm not complaining at all (I LOVE uTorrent!), I just wanted to compare--what kinds of down speeds are other people getting (on average)?

Thanks in advance!

jc

There is no such thing -- BitTorrent is fickle, and does not guarantee speeds, as any P2P application can't guarantee speeds. If the OpenOffice.org torrent rakes in good speeds for you, and you have everything configured properly as per my sticky, then there's not much else you can blame it on other than the swarm/torrent you're trying to download from.

Archived