wireless internet access through my neighbor's network

stvernon74

i currently access the internet through a local network- i assume it is my neighbor's as i am in an apartment complex. i had been downloading/uploading without any real problems for about two weeks and all of a sudden, saturday, i couldn't get anything to happen.

i hadn't changed anything before then. i checked to see if my port was forwarded and it was not. i tried the port forwarding site but to no avail. i have checked and changed firewall settings in windows and PC-cillin and they seem to match up with all the other threads i've read. does this mean there is something new with my neighbor's router and i just need to break down and set up my own network?

also, i find this peculiar, whenever i reboot the system the seeds and leechers that once showed zero fill up and i seem to have access for about 30-60 minutes even though i get the yellow and red icons warning me about my connectivity.

this is all new to me and i am trying my best to read as many threads as possible but i can't make sense out of this. please help.

okay, now it gets weirder. after my last reboot, everything in queue finished downloading and is now seeding! i still have the red exclamation point at the bottom of the screen and i don't have speeds of more than 50 down or up but it's working. it's strange.

i will ask my neighbor when i see them.

Archived