Firon, Router question

Moody

I am looking for a new router, a wireless + minimum 4 port Ethernet, what would you advise? I would really prefer one that works with Bitorrent correctly, straight out of the box. Do any exist?

Do you have any knowledge of the latest Linksys WRT54GS's v6/7? The manufactures have firmware updates on there site, which tells me they have problems and are trying to fix them.

Many thanks.

They reportedly fixed the problems with BitTorrent in a previous firmware release for WRT54G, but I'm not sure how it is right now. I don't research routers enough to be able to give any decent recommendations as to which routers work perfectly out of the box, but if you're going for a Linksys, you'd probably be better off getting a WRT54GL and switching the firmware to one that's known to work.

Thank you Ultima.

For anyone is looking for a new router. I have taken a chance with the Linksys WRT54GS Uk v6, easy to install less than 5 minutes. I upgraded the router with the latest firmware from Linksys website, I have turned off the wireless option for now. I didn't bother forwarding the ports initially but tried the UPnP options in Utorrent and the router, the port forward test in utorrent showed I was connectable but within a couple of hours utorrent showed the ports were unconnectable and the test confirmed this, can't tell where the problem is.

I have now forwarded the ports and given my PC a static IP etc., connectable and all working fine, I downloaded a 2gig file in under 2 hours, with up to 80 connections to a mixture of peers and seeds and can report no router lockups or freezing. I leave this pc on virtually 24/7 so time will tell but I am happy for now. I'll try the wireless options with a laptop and Xbox within few weeks, any problems I'll add to this.

Archived