1.6 just stopped dead

Ibsen3

Hello all,

I downloaded utorrent only just today and I was very happy with it for quite some time before it started getting slower and slower. Then one moment it was downloading at about 20kbps and the next it had stopped completely. Even the uploads stopped.

Naturally, I don't know the first thing about utorrent as I just switched from BitLord but I've got a large file about 30% and I can't seem to get this damn thing off the ground anymore. There is a message in the logger saying 'Unable to map UPnP Port.' Does this mean anything at all?

Much appreciation for any help.

Okay, thanks for your help. I have done all of the following:

SLOW/INTERRUPTED INTERNET CONNECTION/OFFLINE TRACKERS when running µTorrent

- Disable IP resolving in the Peers tab

(I don't know what this one is)

- Try disabling DHT (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

- Try disabling UPnP (Can be found in Preferences > Connection)

- Try lowering maximum global number of connections to 200? 100? 50? (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

- Lower net.max_halfopen to 4 (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

- Patched TCPIP.sys and restarted computer after patching? (Assumes you are using Windows XP w/ SP2)

(I wasn't sure about this one so I left it, particularly considering the fact that it changes system files.)

- Connect your computer directly to the modem to make sure the problem is not caused by the router

- Restart your computer, modem, and router after performing any of the above

(These last two I have skipped as I had some seriously bad problems, apparently with the modem before, and it took me two months to get my internet connected.)

SLOW TRANSFER SPEEDS (be it upload or download) in µTorrent

- Make sure you have a green network status light in the µTorrent status bar

- Try testing a torrent from OpenOffice.org or Ubuntu Linux? (If any of them run quickly, then the problems you're experiencing likely lie only with the swarm)

- Try enabling Protocol Encryption? (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

- Made sure peer.lazy_bitfield is enabled? (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

- Check to make sure your ISP isn't listed here

There have been so signifcant changes. I'm not quite so sure about the last one as I don't really understand all of the information there. I am using Tiscali, if that helps. However, I think the real problem lies with the fact that even with my previous bittorrent program (Bitlord), there are now extremely slow downloads. This seems to have just happened at the start of the year. My internet connection with anything else appears to be fine and after trying the above options there did seem to be a momentary improvement back up to 20kbps for a while but now it's sunk back to approx. 1kbps whilst the upload seems fine.

Archived