is it possible

grassy

My local area connection status is at 100mbps and my connection with my internet provider is ADSL at 1500, so this allows me to download 15GB per month. All up, i'm realistically downloading around that per month, sometimes. How is it possible for me to download around 90gb per month. Is it due to my speeds? as my average speed shown when i am downloading is say 8.0k, which to download 90gb per month, logic says to me that my download speed is not fast enough. Should i be seeding more often.? On a say 2gb file with say 4 seeds , my speed sometimes even stops and just stays on zero and does not go anywhere. Thats why i ask the question of is it possible. I must be missing something very important. Regards Grassy

First of all, the 100mbps is the speed that your computer is connected to the modem. The ADSL 1500 tells you that your maximum connection speed is 1500 kilobits per second. Kilobbits are different than Kilobytes. To convert bits to bytes, simply divide by 8. So your max downlaod speed (not counting overhead) would be about 187 KB/s. 40GB is equal to 41,943,040 Kilobytes (40 * 1024 * 1024). Divide that by your speed of 187KB/s. It would take 224294 seconds to complete the download (assuming maxium speed). Divide it out to hours, you get about 62 hours.

As for the speed of 8.0k you are getting. That is very very slow. The reason why it is so slow is because you dont have many seeds, not many people are seeding the torrent you are sharing.

First start by: Do you have a green status icon in the bottom staus bar of uTorrent??

Second: try the torrent below in my signature, you should see very fast speed (if not max on your connection).

What does this green status icon look like?, if i click on the speed icon at the bottom of utorrent, i have a green wavey line which is probably stating something and in step 2 that you outlined what am i meant to be clicking on in the open office link. Sorry for the dumb questions. Regards Grassy

Red is bad and is probably why you are not seeing fast speeds. This indicates that your ports are not correctly forwarded. This page further expains the status icons http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#What_do_the_Network_Status_lights_mean.3F . To set up porforwarding, I highly recommed http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm , it has very easy walkthrough instructions.

Archived