windows 2003 server - unexplained speed issues - help needed please!

ioloop

Hi all

I have two PCs sitting next to each other in the same room, behind a Linksys WAG354G V.2 on an ADSL Max 8Mb line.

PC 1 is an athlon x2 64 running win xp pro sp2.

PC 2 is an intel twin p4 running win 2003 server.

Neither is running a software firewall or antivirus. The correct utorrent ports are forwarded in the router setup for both machines. The setttings within utorrent are exactly the same for both machines.

I use the 2003 server machine as a download slave, its always on, however speeds have been poor (i.e. less than 20kB/s for well seeded torrents). For ages I assumed the problem was with the torrents until i ran the same torrent on the xp pro machine (at eactly the same time, same peers) and it blazed through it at more than 400kB/s, which is about what i would expect for my line.

As far as i know theres no inbuilt 'security centre' firewall. As i said, all the settings everywhere are exactly the same, there should be no difference, yet the 2003 server machine runs like a dog. Other p2p apps (soulseek) run fine on the 2k3 machine.

I am not a win2k3 or utorrent expert, but im not a numpty either ;)

Is there something in 2k3 i dont know about? do i need to change some settings in utorrent? has anyone else had similar issues?

thanks for any help or advice.

ok, ive got a bit more info..

in the status bar at the bottom main window it says 'download limited' and looking at the speed it looks as though it stays under 25kB/s.. but the speed is not limited, its set to 0 under preferences and the little right click pop-out tab on the status bar.. anyone come across this?

is there a manual way to set a download speed?

cheers

in the status bar at the bottom main window it says 'download limited' and looking at the speed it looks as though it stays under 25kB/s.. but the speed is not limited, its set to 0 under preferences and the little right click pop-out tab on the status bar.. anyone come across this?

If you limit your upload to under 6KB/s, you download will be limited, its an anti-leech measure.

Archived